chickat

Eglu Go with attached run... Reconfigured Run - more Access

This post will probably only make sense to Eglu Go with attached run owners—Hopefully, I explain it well enough for Eglu owners to understand.

• Security so no predator can get into your run---GOOD.

• Accessibility to the run---NOT SO Good..

You know what I mean. Access for chickens from Eglu---Access for me from the door at the far end of the run.

I’ve been a little frustrated by the contortion I need to do to attach the waterer. I also got a “poop free” waterer—reach upward and hang in run doorway.. Everything is stacked up by the door at the end of the run.

Putting in the movable dust bath--- lift the entire Eglu and Run with the dust bath under the skirting until everything clears…and then the dust bath is in the run by the pop door.

Today my backporch thermometer was 110F. Clearly, my chickens were feeling the heat.

I had frozen gallon jugs of ice but getting them into the run with all the other stuff was going to be a challenge.

Then I reconfigured my Eglu Run. (I have the 2-meter run BTW.)

The “roof” is actually made of 3-panels, and at the juncture of the side walls and the center of the center roof panel, there are “double run clips”. I decided to remove those and all the run clips on three sides of the middle roof panel. The fourth side, I beefed up with more run clips and use them as a hinge. I beefed up the place where the center double run clips previously were located horizontally, by adding several vertical run clips where those two side walls come together.

I also added run clips to any other place on my entire run that looked like it could use a little more stability---once I had removed the clips from three sides of the center roof panel.

Then I could lift the center roof panel like a hatch. This is cool!. I can attach the waterer in the center of the run, not just the end by the access door. I can move things around that I couldn’t access before. I can get in from the top—and have much better ability to place things in the run. Yea!!.

Partly I think my idea was inspired by “Egg Lou” on the Omlet forum who made Eglu Cube Run access by dropping the upper end panel…but that is a different story.

I have a dog-leash clip—that one of the dogs chewed off when she was a puppy. I will clip that on the opposite side of the roof panel from the hinges, as a lock. Meanwhile, I just re-secured the three open sides with one run clip each. It is all under the shade cover. I realize that the predator protection is somewhat diminished. But my access is greatly enhanced.

I had a piece of 1x2 wood that I had stuck in as a

“perch”.. I moved it to the very top to rest the lifted ‘hatch’ (roof panel) on, so it won’t fall into the run.

If you have a Go with attached run, and you would like more access---here is one approach. If you go this route, and if you have better ideas, fixes--- let me know. Thanks!

Hi Chickat

That sounds great, very resourceful and I totally agree about the need for better access in the eglu runs. I have eglu classics with 3 and 4 meter runs and have cut flaps into the central side panels for access so it makes everything including cleaning a lot easier.

Just one word of caution though, be careful that you do not lose the integrity of the run- strength is its selling point as long as it is set up the way it is intended. Here, foxes have been known to jump onto and walk on runs, so if you get one heavy enough to make a run panel bend and create a gap, that might be enough for foxy to get in as the clips are not indestructible. I have reinforced the whole lot with thick wire weaved along all the joins.

:D

Thanks Henchanted!

Security was a big consideration. (trade off). I have seen a video on YouTube of a fox foiled by a run on the Eglu Cube. The fox was running back and forth on the top of the wire.

I realize that the structural stability won't be the same now. Alas. Luckily, foxes are pretty rare here. More common are Raccons, Opossums, and skunks. (do you have those pests over there?) I know exactly what you mean about the weight of the pest making a sag in the roof. Hopefully if that were to happen the wood that props up both sides of the roof in the middle, and the shade cover that goes the whole length will prevent entry.

The classic run that I got recently on eBay--has a different construction for the run. Each segment is made from two pieces with the skirt attached and they join in the center top. My Eglu Go has the run construction made from separate skirt, wall and roof. I imagine that is easier to ship. So I can really admire that you have invented other points of access than just the door at the end. That's inventive.

Good idea about wire to reinforce all the joins. Definitely I want my chickens to be safe. I may attach a panel of what we call 'hardware cloth' (a square holed wire mesh) to make another roof that overlaps the joins where the clips would have been--but will still lift off. Thank you for posting! I so appreciate your insight.

Its a pleasure to 'meet' you Chickat.

BTW we don't get possums and the like, and in our cities we are mostly bothered by foxes, who are a great problem, and rats can be too, if they are attracted by any chicken feed left out, as they can get into these runs. Eugh ! :vom:

:D

Hi Henchanted!

Perhaps this is rather lame thinking, I wonder if foxes are so "foxy" (cagey) there because of fox hunting, and the survivors had to be REALLY smart.

I was trying to think of the equivalent here of the fox there, and I think that the USA has coyotes, which are a canine species, and live increasingly close to cities. But probably more shy than the fox. Did the cartoons of the "Road Runner & Whylie Coyote" ever make it to TV or movie theatres over there? Proably not. They were big here in the 1960's. The coyote was always trying to catch the road runner. WE do have fox here, but they are very rarely seen in this part of the country. More seen in the east and the north.

Now thinking of mice and rats.... that one is very creepy. More difficult to deal with too, I suspect. Hoping not to have to deal with them--ever-- in connection with the hens. We also have snakes -- there is even a variety called the "chicken snake" that will eat eggs. There are also ants. We have regular ants, Red fire ants, so called 'sugar ants', and a new variety called 'razberry crazy ants'. Sometimes I put food out for the chickens and within mintues ants are crawling on the food. That includes the food attached to the sides of the run.

Well sorry for so many laments :o) In the end it is more than worth it for the enjoyment of chickens and for the great eggs they give us.

Have a great day!

I know what you meant about access problems! I have a Go and sometimes unhooking a mostly full waterer to change it out requires some contortions. A couple of weeks ago, I tossed a corn on the cob to the hens and they rolled it to the back of the run near the Eglu by the time they stripped it clean. I had bought a child's shovel for cleaning poop and I was just able to reach the cob with that to get it out of there! If I had any physical disabilities, I'd definitely have to come up with some modifications! Perhaps I should have put it together so that the door was on a side panel rather than the end!

Thanks Leeloo,

so it isn't just me. I suppose if you wanted to, you would be able to take a coin, unhook some run clips and put the door on the side. Seems like a lot to do though doesn't it?

Sometimes I took the door clip and poked around through the weld mesh, or I took one of those bamboo stakes that you can use for plants/tomatoes and moved the thing I was trying to get to the edge, and then lift the sides and pull the thing out from under the run skirt. (then all the water spilled out because I was tipping it so much!)

I really like my open top. :D

I thought the go was DESIGNED to be able to put to door on the side, for ease of access?

"he Run - Made from strong steel weld mesh impossible for predators to break. A unique anti-tunnel skirt sits flat on the ground and prevents animals from digging in. You can safely leave your hens in the run with the door to their house open if you are not in.

Run Door - The new run design allows you to position the run door on the side as well as on the end. This is handy if you want to fit the Eglu Go into a spot where access to the end is difficult."

Take care at night Squiffs a fox can get a leg through the run so if they sleep by the mesh at night they could be in trouble :?

Huh? Oh I was just pasting from the Omlet Shop page on Eglu Gos!

I have a classic, and it's covered in run clips and cable ties and weighed down with concrete blocks, I take no chances ;) - and I always shut the chickens in the coop - the first couple of nights they tried to sleep in the run but I poked them with a stick until they got in the coop (as they were sleeping right next to the mesh, and as you say, a fox could get them through the bars, which I wasn't about to let happen!) :)

I thought the go was DESIGNED to be able to put to door on the side, for ease of access?

"he Run - Made from strong steel weld mesh impossible for predators to break. A unique anti-tunnel skirt sits flat on the ground and prevents animals from digging in. You can safely leave your hens in the run with the door to their house open if you are not in.

Run Door - The new run design allows you to position the run door on the side as well as on the end. This is handy if you want to fit the Eglu Go into a spot where access to the end is difficult."

Yes, but they are marketing that as an advantage to accessing the door from the outside. I have no problem with getting to it on the end from the outside. I wasn't thinking about side access being useful for reaching more of the inside of the run when I put it together.

Yes, but they are marketing that as an advantage to accessing the door from the outside. I have no problem with getting to it on the end from the outside. I wasn't thinking about side access being useful for reaching more of the inside of the run when I put it together.

I think the door should be in the middle for both the classic and the go, because I can reach a metre either way, but not 2 metres back. Side access would be infinitely easier.

I had a look at this yesterday and decided to try it out.. I've used some spare bungee hooks to secure the 'loose sides. Attaching them to the 'lid' then pulling them through the fixed part, round and hooking back to the lid seems to be pretty secure. I've tested it by pressing down on the top and no gaps appear. I've also then put the shade over the top.

I had a look at this yesterday and decided to try it out.. I've used some spare bungee hooks to secure the 'loose sides. Attaching them to the 'lid' then pulling them through the fixed part, round and hooking back to the lid seems to be pretty secure. I've tested it by pressing down on the top and no gaps appear. I've also then put the shade over the top.

Now that is a good idea. Subsequent to opening up the section, I have been able to move the Go & run without any problems. And like you, I keep the run shade on all the time.

I love being able to reach inside in the middle!

Thanks for the idea!