Chicken Licken

Bee Inspector

We had a visit from the bee inspector today, the first for us as new bee keepers. Both hives got the all clear as clean and healthy hives - what a relief after the varroa scare in the spring. We are also ready to take off our second honey harvest of the year. This one will come off the new colony who have only been in the hive since May when they swarmed from our initial hive - so despite learning a lot as we go along, we can't be doing too badly.

I'm not registered on Beebase so do not expect a visit and I don't need anybody to give my hives a clean bill of health.

Big brother????

Not keen on somebody else throwing my bees about...I've heard some tales.

I'm sure an inspector would be here yesterday if I reported foul brood. And that's where I'd like to keep him....at my beckon.

I emailed my SBI last year with a varroa management query and he didn't even bother to acknowledge.

SHB will have them all running round in circles though

I'm not registered on Beebase so do not expect a visit and I don't need anybody to give my hives a clean bill of health.

Big brother????

I'm sure an inspector would be here yesterday if I reported foul brood. And that's where I'd like to keep him....at my beckon.

I emailed my SBI last year with a varroa management query and he didn't even bother to acknowledge.

SHB will have them all running round in circles though

Please don't post comments like this. They are not positive and don't help. Inspection of beehives is a free service and the bee inspectors I've met are knowledgeable and positive people. Geurilla beekeeping although it might make people feel big, can cause real problems when there is a recurring EFB/AFB problem.

Bee inspectors have a job to do and their job is important as there a quite a few beekeepers with poor disease recognition skills.Spot checks and random inspections in an area where there has been notifiable disease are to be recommended. Such checks are for the benefit of all beekeepers.

Where I am there has been a disease occurance for several years. This year another set of infected hives has turned up and all mine will need to be inspected all over again. If all the apiaries had been known about a few years ago then maybee things would have been sorted out a while ago.

I was simply saying what I do and how I feel. Nowhere in my post is a suggestion that anybody else follow my suit.

I am not a guerilla beekeeper and would be the first to seek help if I had a problem.

I am sure the OP is sensible enough to see my post for what it is. An opinion.

This is a forum,after all.

Where I am there has been a disease occurance for several years. This year another set of infected hives has turned up and all mine will need to be inspected all over again. If all the apiaries had been known about a few years ago then maybee things would have been sorted out a while ago.

I don't know how far you are from Rowse but I would certainly be on my toes if I were and would be proactive in searching out NBU checks.

I check out the NBU site regularly for notified disease outbreaks and our BKA are on the ball too.

Rowse isn't a problem for me. The unknown beekeeper who wasn't registered on BeeBase is. 3 apiaries have now been affected with EFB. The last "unknown" apiary was only recently found and the outlook for the bees does not look good.

Comments like:

do not encourage beekeepers to register on BeeBase, especially when they come from experienced forum members.

Apologies for being blunt but unfortunately this is an area where irresponsible behaviour can significantly affect someone elses income.

Probably not enough beekeepers register which is a real shame. Beebase is relatively new but that doesn't mean it can't deliver a real benefit for beekeepers.

With the incease in new beekeepers it is important that new beekeepers get registered. This way they can get the support and reassurance they need from a currently free service.

With the incease in new beekeepers it is important that new beekeepers get registered. This way they can get the support and reassurance they need from a currently free service.

Compulsory registration has been talked about, for instance beekeepers in France have to have a licence to keep bees but I'm not aware of any inspection process.