Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Course it can! Honest!! Just think about walking away from work later on - a whole weekend with the chooks and wine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Oh yes I hate telling people off and that was my first job of the day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 oh dear. Mind you I find that I can cope with confrontation at work, but cant watch those confrontational programmes (rogue traders etc.) I have to walk out the room Things will get better Louise - lots of positive thoughts are being sent your way by one girl, two dogs and four chooks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Your a gem Mel! Miserable start to the day - pouring witrh rain, so drove R to school, got soaked running the 500 yrads from the car park to school WITH an umbrella, then crawled back to work in the traffic (gridlocked by the fair being in town/rain) and arrived late and wet. That's why I normally walk unless it is teeming down! Still, my mother is staying for a couple of days (the ex is away, so she is collecting R from school for me) she is far less annoying than usual and has promised to do my ironing - BONUS TIME! Still it's POETS day, even if I don't get to go early! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 I can do confrontation I just don't like to Especially when the culprit shows no sign of remorse and you get the feeling they feel even at the end they didn't deserve it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 I'm "working at home" again Claire Actually, I have got loads of work done and am just taking a short break (45 mins last time I looked ) Hope your day gets better - it's bound to if you've got someone doing your ironing - can I pop some up to your ex-mother-in-law? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 It's my mother - don't speak to my ex MIL, she is a nutter and called me all names under the sun when I divorced her son! My mother is great, but any more than a couple of days and she's getting on my nerves. I try so hard to be tolerant and do deap breathing stuff, but she does me in! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Red Wine for you. Large amounts of sleeping tablets in her tea for her........ (I'm just getting in practice for when my M-I-L comes down for Christmas.......) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 My mum is the same Clare. Fine for a couple of days then you have to keep taking deep breaths and reminding yourself she really means well but you just want to snap I am a grownup I will do it how I want to Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 I think the really scary thing is when you hear yourself saying something your mother would say Speaking to my friends who have children they say its even worse as, when they were young, they swore never to talk to their children like that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds my mother difficult - all right in small doses. I feel so guilty about it. Why does she talk so much? I can't get a word in edgeways! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 You must feel right at home here on the forum then Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Don't feel guilty Ginette we all feel like that sometimes. Toughest thing about my parents is the whole wearing shoes outside and slippers inside They go outside to smoke in their slippers and then trail in mud and tarmac, when I ask them not to do this they just say well I am only on the patio. How can my dad pass comment on the chickens in the middle of the back lawn from the patio - he was standing in the mud The whole 'you should do it like this' thing with my mother drives me mad and if she tells me I should have cream curtains in the lounge one more time I will scream The only place I have white curtains is the kitchen and they are now covered in red wine. The blue lounge ones wouldn't have shown it at all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Perhaps you should go for red curtains Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Why does she talk so much? I can't get a word in edgeways! I had trouble getting out of the door to get back to work at lunchtime, I had to keep saying 'I really nust go NOW' and edging towards the door. Must be because my father never listens to her at home, just lets her burble on! Ginette - I also get the 'you should be doing it like this' theme, but I remind her that I am 42 now, and no longer need reminding to have a clean hankerchief before I leave the house - now checking I have a brain - that's a different matter! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 My mother just talks and talks and talks. If I try to tell her something she picks up a word from the first sentence and goes off on a tangent without hearing the rest of the story. It's so frustrating! She used to work at my children's junior school but left 18 months ago. However she still knows exactly what goes on there - or thinks she does. So I can't tell her anything about what the children are doing there without prompting some old story about one of the staff. She doesn't accept that people change or that maybe she hasn't seen all sides of someone - or even that my opinion might be different! If I have a different opinion and dare to say so, that is because I refuse to agree with anything she says and deliberately oppose her on everything. if I just agree with everything she says, I don't play a proper part in the conversation. it's just a lose/lose situation! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 It always takes an hour from saying 'I really must go now' to actually going (whether visiting her or on the phone!) I keep making mental notes to self not to be like that when I am older! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 My mother just talks and talks and talks. If I try to tell her something she picks up a word from the first sentence and goes off on a tangent without hearing the rest of the story. It's so frustrating! I got that one this lunchtime Ginette - I was saying about us being away on firework night and a neighbour looking after the menagerie, and she started asking why we were going to see fireworks in December - HELLO, who mentioned DECEMBER!? I find my self speaking to her really slowly (difficult for me! ) to let it sink in a bit at a time. I said to Phil that he should tell me if I start getting like my mother, he said he wouldn't bother - just tie a bag round my head - bloomin' cheek! . The probelm is, as you said, I find myself doing/saying things like her - horrors, especially now the old hormones are cracking up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mel (& Paul) Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Mothers cant live without them cant live with them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 And love them to bits as well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 Aaaw, bless, hug, squeeze! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 21, 2005 Share Posted October 21, 2005 To get back to Louise . . . I have been puzzling over your problem since you told us that the lack of water was down to a leaking roof. I'm sorry but I can't understand this and I have read back through this thread to see if I have missed something. How can a leaking roof lead to no water? Please explain! I hope that the situation is solved soon for you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...