kannie

I'd love a dog but...

I puppy walked a guide dog puppy. I found it challenging and lovely. Fell totally in love with 'Patsylabrador' and it was horrid saying goodbye. I got a great sense of achievement and we also learnt that owning a dog outright wasn't for us.

It was a great experience and I think I may do it again in the future for Hounds for Heroes who are trying to get dogs trained for wounded soldiers.

Good luck.

Aw - thats great! I'm sure saying goodbye will be hard but we'll just have to cope - OH won't agree to a dog for life (yet) so a one year dog is the only option! It'll be really good to have such good training right through the year too: will set us up well in case we do have a pet dog later.

Some of the Canine Partners dogs go to Help for Heroes injured service people. I think which charity you puppy parent for is pretty dependent on your location. It's only Canine Partners that have a Somerset satellite.

They all seem to have different approaches with training. One puppy parent in our satellite has done guide dog puppies too. She says that a main difference is that guide dogs are mainly on duty outside the home, and Canine Partners assistance dogs are mainly on duty inside the home. Whereas guide dogs have to resist many natural doggy activities like sniffing, CPs work with dogs natural instincts like fetching, carrying, and tugging to harness them for assistance purposes. Interesting (to me!) :)