sandyhas3chucks

Sour crop treatment brief update

Hi,

wonder if someone might be able to help.

How does Nystatin work on sour crop??

AND... from first dose how long does it take to be effective?

(I know why she is sour, crop in stasis as weeny egg on way :(:( )

just need to get her through sour crop in meantime, spoken with Vet , if no egg by morning she is going in and hopefully he can help it out. :(

Edited by Guest

The sour crop started Sunday or Monday (time lost) :(

By Thursday, having started Nystatin on Monday, I was cautiously hopefull.

Thursday at midnight I heard tapping and thought oh no....

But on checking she was having a midnight snack.

Friday she flew out at speed and ate all day everything and was happy bright and I was on cloud 9

By Sat morning :(:(:(

Vet gave her antibiotic jab due to what "appeared" to be bruising on bum below vent????

She was real poorly and died at 1.am :(:cry::cry::cry:

Post Mortem showed no eggs nothing stuck but clearly must have been intestinal blockage top half intestines had gone gangrenouse (sp?)

lower (last end) were clear almost opaque but had air in (somewhat how I think maybe a torsion in a dog might be?????)

The hardest thing to get my head around is the brilliant recovery on Friday :(:?:

it really does depend on the route cause of the sour crop, as you will have read my poor little girls intestines were shot ... thus not enabling food to pass OUT of the crop.

I did sort it briefly for one day, but if yyou coukd have seen her blavlened, hardened intestines you woul know that nothing was going to fix it .RIP my love :(

Hi there

We have a chook with Sour Crop, we have google that Nilstat medication is recoomended,  We have tried ACV in water and it has helped along with massages to the crop several times per day.  We have Nistat on hand for human use but dont know dosage for a full grown chook (Isa Brown).  Your earliest response is appreciated as otherwise I will book her into the vet.  TIA  Cheers Tess

On 10/18/2022 at 4:44 AM, TnT said:

Hi there

We have a chook with Sour Crop, we have google that Nilstat medication is recoomended,  We have tried ACV in water and it has helped along with massages to the crop several times per day.  We have Nistat on hand for human use but dont know dosage for a full grown chook (Isa Brown).  Your earliest response is appreciated as otherwise I will book her into the vet.  TIA  Cheers Tess

Just occasionally, sour crop recurs and is indicative of a systemic problem in the gut. Having said that, it is usually possible to clear it at home; empty the crop carefully and syringe in 2-3mls of neat, live apple cider vinegar, keep her in a carte in the run, withdraw food and keep her hydrated. Make sure that she is drinking and pooing. If the crop has filled again the next morning, repeat the process and start to introduce pellets with added Fauna Flora. This usually clears most cases, but if it doesn't improve, or a blockage is felt in the crop, then she'll need to go to a chicken-savvy vet.

• Like 1