Mikeymancs Posted October 9, 2011 Share Posted October 9, 2011 Hello, I am pondering another alternative to my other post about WIR and my current wooden coop. I like the cube, I know they are expensive but the feedback is very positive. My question is this, if I purchased the cube and the larger extended run, would this be suitable for housing three to four birds permanently, with only a little free ranging time? If so, this could be an alternative to me buying a large WIR, adding a paved area etc etc. I could simply move the cube around depending on time on year and the weather etc. Thanks again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted October 9, 2011 Share Posted October 9, 2011 I have three bantams permanently in a cube with one extension. Masses of room for them, especially if you make use of the height by adding perches Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 9, 2011 Share Posted October 9, 2011 Three would be fine in a cube run plus one extension, four would be ok probably The cube is very heavy though and although on wheels is very heavy and cumbersome to move even without an extended run, keeping it in once place would be your best bet. In your garden I think slabs may be the best bet then a cover on the run to keep things as dry as possible I think your idea of having the wooden coop in a walk in run is as good if not better Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted October 10, 2011 Share Posted October 10, 2011 I think your original idea is best too . You'll have more flexibility with a WIR and a wooden coop, especially if you get an eglu or Go . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted October 10, 2011 Share Posted October 10, 2011 I went through the same thing as you & in the end went for a cube, run & 1m extension. I have 4 chickens & if they were in there all the time I would probably add an extra metre. As it is, mine free range all the time unless we are out or its appalling weather. For our situation, I loved the idea of a WIR but my husband is not handy & because we live in Plymouth none of the 'recommended' companies would come here to install. So practicality won & we went for the cube. We are very happy but I would say that its taken us a little bit of effort to get there. Our cube leaked but after some investigation we think it was not leaking per se, but not set up correctly so water was not draining out as it should. We've now dug out & levelled just the area on which the cube sits & its better. Good luck with your decision. If money was no object then I would have 'got a man in' and had the site levelled and had a WIR installed. But our site was so sloping that it would have cost an arm & a leg. So our solution was the best for us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...