peachachecha

chutney?

:lol: I think it's a peculiarly British thing! Basically it's vegetables and fruit cooked in sugar and vinegar to make a sort of condiment - the word chutney is Indian I believe, but I'm sure it existed before then. It's usually served with cold meat or pork pie or similar.

Delia Smith has a recipe for Christmas Chutney which I often use, I've also got a very old one from a family friend for apricot chutney made with dried apricots, almost anything goes but it's usually made in the autumn to use up fruit and vegetables that can't be stored - green tomatoes are a popular one as it's a good way to make use of them.

:lol: I think it's a peculiarly British thing! Basically it's vegetables and fruit cooked in sugar and vinegar to make a sort of condiment - the word chutney is Indian I believe, but I'm sure it existed before then. It's usually served with cold meat or pork pie or similar.

Delia Smith has a recipe for Christmas Chutney which I often use, I've also got a very old one from a family friend for apricot chutney made with dried apricots, almost anything goes but it's usually made in the autumn to use up fruit and vegetables that can't be stored - green tomatoes are a popular one as it's a good way to make use of them.

Thanks Olly! The Christmas Chutney looks good. If I can find the allspice berries I will give it a try. Will look for a green tomatoes one next year. I make a green tomatoe mincemeat that I like on occasion. Your apricot chutney sounds good too.