snowberry Posted October 28, 2011 Share Posted October 28, 2011 Sorry, this may be thick; but would you be able to 'swap' with someone from one of the other groups? Being in Cornwall myself, are you in the big corp that has taken over every independent recently? I have a friend who works for them as a dispenser & I could ask her on Monday if you like Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 That does sound like a very convoluted way of doing things to me Where I work we just book on a first come first served basis. There is no leave over Christmas,Easter or Regatta, which is fair enough & they only allow a certain amount of people to be off at any one time ...we also have to spread our weeks evenly over the year. Our forms came out yesterday so I am crossing my fingers hard as I have already booked next years summer holidays,& there are 2 of us needing the same time,as my daughter works there too They are & have been in the past remarkably lenient & willing to work around if anyone needs particular time for an event & I would say that your case is special enough to be called an event (one girl took 4 weeks off to go to Thailand last year) Good luck,I hope you can find a way around it. If not.....new job time,maybe??? That said,if you handed in your notice to quit before the dates you need,how on earth would they cope if they can only have one person off at a time? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 In theory we are only allowed 2 from our team of 6 off on leave at any one time.... However, last week 3 were off all week and another had a half day on Friday, another a day on Weds so I think as long as there is cover they should be grown up about it. If you get on well with the practice manager, I would have a word.... Anyone with half a heart would know how hard it is for you honey to spend long times apart from your BF... I know how in love you both are.... Anyone who won't grant you 2 weeks so you can spend some quality time with your love is evil in my view.... It's not like you can take any other time off to be with him. Hope it's works out for you sweetheart xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 I'd probably speak to my line manager first and then go to practice manager if need be Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 This should be covered in your terms and conditions so you are entitled to ask for a copy of the guidelines that cover it. It sounds like your manager is using her "powers" abitrarily to suit herself and not applying the same rules to everyone. If necessary, ask to speak to your next line manager upwards and ask for a definative explanation of the rules. Always put requests in writing, keep a copy and mark your calendar with the date you applied and the date the leave was granted - covers all bases later on if it is ever disputed. Good luck - my neice and her husband are in a similar position - so I understand how important this is to you! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 My work used to operate on X people off in one team at a time and it was strict, I had to move my wedding by a week as my holiday clashed with someone elses Ultimately your employer calls the shots All you can do is appeal to your line managers better nature but they may well be penned in by the rules, its worth a try though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 29, 2011 Share Posted October 29, 2011 I can't believe how small minded some people are, family and loved ones take priority over everything, keep at it there must be a human being in your campany somewhere Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KimmyCustard Posted October 30, 2011 Share Posted October 30, 2011 We have to apply for Christmas a year in advance if we are rostered to work, so I put my application in on the 1st October for Christmas 2012 annual leave Having said that, there are 3 of us in our office and others are trained for our job to fill in if we all want leave at the same time. As long as we give plenty of notice, ie 6 months in advance, then we are granted the leave. We can only have short notice leave (ie: 3 days in advance) if its a family emergency though...... Do you have a system whereby you can put in a grievance if you feel you havent been fairly treated? Your HR should be able to furnish you with the guidelines to follow if you feel you're being treated unfairly, esp as you've given so much notice for the request. This is a 'once in a lifetime' request, its not as though you have any choice as to when you can see your BF like most of us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...