Black Cloud

what predator returns its victim???

My two girls Emily and Beatrice were free ranging last wednesday in the garden (as they always did) and i returned at 530 to find Emily feathers all over the garden and no girls. Checking with neighbours, they have reported seeing a fox around. BUT. The following day more feathers appeared in the centre of the garden. Then on friday Beatrice's rmeians were returned to the garden. Slowly more feathers appeared and then a leg and now this morning, 10 days later, the remains of E were in the centre of the garden. And an egg. ??????

What animal takes and then returns its victims. I want to get more girtls - my EGlu Go is very lonely and the garden empty with clucking and inquisitive girls running around.

thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

we today selected 2 new girls: Ebony (black Rock) and Hermione (Blue something!). They are now settling in their Eglu run and i'm sure will become part of the family. NO unsupervised freeranging for a while.......

me thinks a fox has been "playing" with us.....

NO unsupervised freeranging for a while........

"for a while"..?...better make that Forever! A fox will return, possibly daily, and this year, next year, forever. Depending on garden, I don't risk freeranging even supervised because I couldn't protect 8 hens if they went in different directions & think a fox could easily appear under a bush even with me there. Just saying so you don't go through it again, I'm sorry to hear what happened.

Pleased you have new chickens, lovely names, hours of fun ahead, all the best. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss. :( I agree it sounds like the fox cached her and has been coming back for a little bit more ever since. :(:(

I also agree that the fox will never be far away now it's found you keep hens. I lost a hen 4 years ago and see foxes regularly now. My girls only ever come out when I'm in the garden. I built them a big walk in run to give them more space. Is that an option for you?

Good luck with your new girls. :D