bouldercroft

attempted critter break-in - help with suspect ID

This morning I discovered that something has tried to get into the WIR

Thankfully is was a cold night so the girls were locked up in the !gored!

It definitely happened overnight as I noticed it right away

I've got two 'foxwatch' installed on two of three exposed sides and coincidentally this was on the side that didn't have a foxwatch.

Anyone know if this is possum? fox? raccoon? some other creature?

6366276187_f8c13ae6a5.jpg

photo by jewilk71, on Flickr

6366276749_16b2d5bd86.jpg

photo by jewilk71, on Flickr

Your fox watch will only work against foxes and dogs.

Whatever it is .. it has mighty strong teeth. We don't encounter raccoons and possums over here, so I've no idea about the sort of damage they can create.

Could it be a squirrel? We had one in our attic once and it left that sort of damage.

How about putting a live catch trap down, and then dealing with whatever you catch in accordance with your local laws.

I'd be surprised if a fox did that, the teeth marks and chew pattern just don't look right - but I am really just guessing, I'm no expert! I think it looks more like a rodent - maybe racoon? My OH suggested maybe a rat after the food?

As mentioned above, I don't think a fox watch would help if it's a rodent. Not sure what the best solution would be, apart from repairs/reinforcements to chewable areas, and locking the coop door at night.

Your fox watch will only work against foxes and dogs.

the niteguard company have raccoon testimonials...

http://www.niteguard.com/pages/Testimonials/#Raccoon%20Testimonials

whatever it was it didn't return last night and as a temporary deterrent I rolled some more hardware cloth over the damaged area in case it did come back

I'm pretty sure its a raccoon - we have them - I've seen them - just gotta keep them away from the girls

all quiet on the chicken coop front!

I wrapped the damaged wood in wire mesh so hopefully that will slow down any new attacks

it was mighty chilly this morning - a very 'pretty to look at' frosty morning - very english I thought...

the girls weren't as so impressed and went back to bed after their porridge!