Chicken shack

re-homing 3 ducks advice please

I am re homing 3 ducks. 2 girls and a boy. I have an eglu !gogreen! with a run extention and will put a baby bath in there. I hope to give them more space later on. My chickens free range and are allowed to go where ever they want when I am about but I don't think I will be able to let the ducks do this as I have a river at the bottom of my garden. Do ducks become homed like chickens? Will I ever be able to allow them to FR? I have learnt so much about chickens and havn't a clue about ducks. What else do they need apart from food, drinking water and a baby bath? Can I give them chicken pellets? :?

Hi Chickenshack the eglu should be ok but you may need to move it around alot as ducks are very messy and stinky and the ground around the bath will become very wet mine all free range with my chickens and i find they dont destroy the place as much but as you have a river at the bottom of your garden i dont see how you will ever beable to let them out as they will not return also mine eat chicken layer pellets,corn and as treats lettuce,pasta and sweetcorn also they must have clean water in a deep bowl enough to keep their eyes clean but should beable to do this in the bath and dont worry it doesnt matter how many times you give them clean water they much prefer to drink their dirty swimming water :lol: goodluck leanne.

Runner crosses are quite big as ive bred them before i was going to say i wouldnt put indian runners in an eglu my drake wouldnt even fit in it if you find the eglu is to small just get a second hand dog kennel or an extra large rabbit hutch i always look at my local dump ive bought some good houses for between £5.00 and £10.00 leanne :)

Hello Chicken shack can we have an update about your ducks? How are you finding them? I ask because I've been a frequent scribbler on the chicken area and have learnt lots about chickens but now my OH is contempating getting 2 little call ducks. I am fairly clueless about ducks and just wondered how your experience has gone as mine would need to fit in with my chickens (banties) too.

Hi Chubby Chook. Ducks are all getting on well. They have a !gogreen! with run extention and a baby bath in it. During the day they have an area to FR and use a child sand pit for a pool. The water needs changing every other day. When the weather is dry :roll::lol: I use the water to water the plants but for the whole of April I have just tipped it out. :roll: I feed them layers pellets, some lettece or spinich and when I want them in the !gogreen! run I use meal worms. I have had an egg of each from March however Tonto lays them in the run and I have to use a stick to roll them to the run door. :roll: By the time I get hold of it it is filthy. :lol: I bought some egg cleaner form Omlet. I worm them when I worn the hens. They appear hardy. Hope this has helped. :D

Hello Chicken shack can we have an update about your ducks? How are you finding them? I ask because I've been a frequent scribbler on the chicken area and have learnt lots about chickens but now my OH is contempating getting 2 little call ducks. I am fairly clueless about ducks and just wondered how your experience has gone as mine would need to fit in with my chickens (banties) too.

Just realised I have told you most off this already on another part of the forum. :oops: