Cats and Chickens

Anyone using the Qute successfully for a Hamster

Interested to know peoples experiences with the Qute for hamsters.Are they coping with the tube? Bought a Qute for my son's Christmas but bit worried by adverse stuff about the wire floor and tube and size. Our hamster became ill 5 days after moving to the Qute and sadly passed away on Tuesday this week after 17 days of illness. Feeling really awful as it hasn't been a great Christmas present and nursing the hamster has been very upsetting. Asked Omlet on 10th January what testing etc they had done with hamsters and were they sure that it was suitable for hamsters? I am still waiting for them to get back to me. Would really like to hear form others who might have had more positive experiences.

So sorry to hear that you lost your hamster. There is a little bit of a thread running Here that you may have seen. I have no first hand experience of the Qute and have heard very little about it in terms of how people are finding it. I do however have concerns about the fact that food and water are available only if the pet travels up the tube. Whilst you can put a bowl of food on the bottom level amongst the bedding :? there doesn't look like there is any way of attaching a water bottle. (Someone also mentioned the concern that a child might lock the tube for cleaning and then forget unlock it preventing the hamster access to the top level). Hamsters should be able to negotiate the tube perfectly well (unless ill) but I think that people do need to ensure that they are using the tube when they are first introduced to the house - if not, alternative food and drink on the bottom level should be provided - or they should be encouraged to use the top level. I still think that whilst it looks rather smart, it does lack in interactive space for the pets.

Thanks. It's been so upsetting. I bought it for my son's Christmas but I am really not sure it's suitable for hamsters. It looks like it's more suited to gerbils. There is no way to have water on the lower level but a hamster who could not climb the tube couldn't be kept in the base for any period of time anyway.

My son wants to replace the hamster but I don't want to put another poor little thing in an unsuitable cage. Have asked Omlet how confident they are in their research. Responses so far appear evasive. Not what I expected :(

If you have been emailing Omlet I would be inclined to phone and speak to someone about your concerns. Is is possible that your hamster was poorly when you got it? Where did you get it from? Is it important to source your hamsters from somewhere with a good reputation. The stress of moving to a new home can trigger underlying illness in hamsters as with all animals.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Was the hamster old or bought new after the Qute? Wonder if the stress of moving an older hamster could have caused illness or if a bought in hamster could have been ill previously...

I've seen Boris the hamster in the Qute and he seemed happy in it and coped fine with the tube :)

There are several other houses which have been around for longer that I've used and which have these tubes - some have the bottle as part of the tube to be placed at the top of or side of a tube and a my Big Sis has one of these cages and Sheldon is fine with it

Habitrail+OVO+water.bmp

This hamster was about six months old. The stress of moving cage is a likely factor in her illness. But her illness has lead me to do a lot of research on hamster care and I am not convinced that the qute is suitable for hamsters. Omlet have told me about a condition called bumblefoot that rodents except gerbils get from wire floors! I think they've designed the qute for gerbils and then decided to market it for hamsters too without understanding that their needs are different. I've asked them if that is the case. Our hamster was only in it for 5 days we put her back into her old cage as soon as she was ill. I just don't feel comfortable about putting another in unless my concerns are alayed. We could get a gerbil instead but I have always had hamsters and have never particularly wanted gerbils. It might be a way of helping my son to be less disappointed with the whole thing though. I know it's been tested with gerbils. I might try phoning Omlet after the weekend. My biggest problem is I just feel rotten for giving a Christmas present that hasn't been any fun at all. I am trying to shield my son from my concerns and really hoping that they can be alayed. He doesn't understand why I am stalling on another hamster at the moment.

The death of our hamster may have nothing whatsoever ever to do with the qute but that doesn't change my concerns.

I've used cages with wire floors on the top sections with hamsters before and they've been fine - there was talk of a solid floor to replace the mesh to make it suitable for dwarf hamster and mice, so maybe that would be an option.

You're right not to rush into buying another hamster straight away if you're concerned though.

Give Omlet a ring on Monday and see if they can help you with your concerns :)

I did test it for a bit but was with Gerbils - Boris the hamster is in a Qute at the Mothership and seems fine in it but if you could get the smaller mesh/solid floor and feel happier about it that may be an option - not sure when they'll be available though, whould have have to speak to someone at HQ :D

I do still love it as a house, just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Was literally going to buy one last week to collect in Feb but then realised I should be sensible! :lol:

I personally agree with OP, the Qute isn't suitable for hamsters due to various reasons.

A lot of people are now moving to creating their own hamster cages out of clear storage boxes, gives the hammies much more room and quite often doesn't cost more than a tenner. I haven't had a hammy in ages but I've got rabbits and guinea pigs and the Eglu isn't suitable for either as a permanent home. I think Omlet just make the homes pretty for the owner and don't factor in the needs of the animal (like putting hamsters on a wire floor). Incidentally, no reptable rescue centre (including the RSPCA) will re-home rabbits, piggies, hamsters or gerbils to anyone if they will be living in any of the Omlet range. Food for thought I think :wink: