clucker1 Posted February 6, 2012 Share Posted February 6, 2012 My 4 original omlet girls are now nearly 2 years old. The 2 gingernuts are laying most days but thev2 pepperpots are laying infrequently in the last 2-3 months. Is this normal for the pepperpot breed or is it just my 2 girls? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted February 6, 2012 Share Posted February 6, 2012 I'd say so- my pepperpot was a more sporadic layer over winter. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 6, 2012 Author Share Posted February 6, 2012 Thank you Gongladosh. I found the pepperpots, Darthveda and Victoria sitting on the nest a couple of days ago, so got very excited! But, alas no eggs. I think they were chatting to each other about what they used to do in the olden days ie lay eggs! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted February 7, 2012 Share Posted February 7, 2012 I started with 2 and 1 and The 2 Ginger rangers Florry and Poppy laid every day with out fail ..In fact I think that is why one became ill and had to be PTS as she never let me down and her eggs were the biggest . Poppy is still laying every day. The Pepperpot Clover has laid most days with the occasional lapse , but she is more laid back and her eggs I thought would be browner and bigger but they are not . My 2 new girls of 3 weeks Rosie and Eva are taking their time. Rosie is very young and we have had 1 egg and Eva 3 soft and 4 Double yolkers so she is still practising ...Yesterday was the first "proper" egg a lovely dark brown and yummy As for personality I love The my OH loves the but they are all just gorgious.My OH reckons the are chavs starting off the pranks and the and the elegant ladies watching and tut tutting only joining in when they know they are not going to get a telling off .. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 7, 2012 Share Posted February 7, 2012 I would agree with you jackian. My pepperpot is very laid back, doesnt get involved in the politics, doesnt bully or peck, or rush about. My gingernut is a busy body, has to know what you are doing, can't get on with anything on her own, and is chief pecker, funnily enough she never pecks at peppot. Mine are only just over 1 yo so both still laying well at the moment. My pepperpot did go very broody over the summer though and didnt lay for about 10 weeks then. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 7, 2012 Author Share Posted February 7, 2012 OOoooooo! That's really funny! Our gingernuts are really sweet and the Pepperpots run the cube! Darthveda is in CHARGE!! She gives you the evil eye when I am cleaning out or whatever and gives me a beady look as to WHAT do I think I am doing. Victoria (other Pepperpot) is second in command, Darthveda is also a very good organiser and takes care of her girls and makes sure they are all in bed tucked up before she ascends the stairs to retire herself!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted February 7, 2012 Share Posted February 7, 2012 Our pepperpot was the boss. When she died, the gingernut took over and ruled with a rod of iron - we really didn't realise at the time how good the pepperpot (Kent) was at 'playing' the gingernut (Kiki) to keep her in check... Kent was a master of the scowl... (she's the one on my avatar) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...