mark_lowe Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I have 6 chickens but 3 of them like to peck and eat my light Sussex feathers? why? how can I stop it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 haven't had this problem myself...but its probably due to her place in the pecking order. I know others on here use an anti peck spray which I assume does what it says Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mark_lowe Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 Tried that, they just eat a feather which isn't sprayed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mark_lowe Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 could it be because she's old? She seems to be slowing down and sleeping more often Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 That would probably place her low down in the pecking order...do you know when it happens...if its over night is it worth getting her a cat basket to sleep in Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mark_lowe Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 She's not scared though, she runs and pecks them. It's like they sneak behind her grab a feather and run off Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 Which anti-peck spray are you using? I've heard Ukadex is more disgusting than most so might be worth a try? Not used it myself though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 Have you tried upping their protein? I'm just thinking it could be a protein deficiency. I often boil a couple of eggs, mash them up with the shell and feed it back to the girls. Could be pure fluke but it does seem to curb feather eating (and by that I mean general feather eating, not girlie-targeted, feather eating). Which anti-peck spray are you using? I've heard Ukadex is more disgusting than most so might be worth a try? Not used it myself though. I used it last weekend. The girls I used it on still stink; its a very potent smell! And it stains the girls nicotine colour Also used Grecian spray - very pretty purple! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mark_lowe Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 ohhh, how many eggs and how often should I do it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I have a feather puller/eater. I have tried 'everything' - nothing deters her. You might be lucky but be prepared not to find a solution.(sorry - not what you want to hear, I know) H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I have a feather puller/eater.I have tried 'everything' - nothing deters her. You might be lucky but be prepared not to find a solution.(sorry - not what you want to hear, I know) H Same here. Most of my girls have bare patches but they seem to be happy so that's the main thing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 14, 2012 Share Posted February 14, 2012 ohhh, how many eggs and how often should I do it? I boil two and mash the lot together including shells, the girls go mental for it! I do this particularly when they are in moult and I don't have any routine for it, it's quite ad hoc. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mark_lowe Posted February 14, 2012 Author Share Posted February 14, 2012 Oh thank you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...