Kalu

Throwing the straw out....

....of their nesting box?!

In the last couple of weeks the girls have taken to clearing out all of the straw from their nesting box. It either gets thrown in between the roosting bars or out of the door. I put fresh in each morning (can't bear to think of them laying their eggs on a hard plastic surface :( ) but each day when i get home from work the nest box is empty again. Any ideas?

Could it be a change of straw? I had to buy a couple of smaller bags last time instead of the huge bale i had been working through for 2 years!

Many thanks

:D

Sorry can't help with your problem but my girls have started throwing all their floor covering out of their house. It's a Solway replacing their previous Solway so it's more or less exactly the same and they didn't do it before :roll:

Sometimes (all the time :lol: ) there is no rhyme or reason to the way chickens behave.

Perhaps trying one of the chopped bedding types such as Auboise or Rapport might be better. More difficult to move but still possible to s"Ooops, word censored!"e out I'm afraid.

Mine tend to dig out all the nesting material in the base and just leave a ring around the top. The only time they tossed it out entirely is when I used some old pine straw that was kind of brittle. If this is new behavior for yours, it could be that they are objecting to the change in texture between the old straw and new? Maybe the new stuff is more dry and prickly?

I thought this was just normal chicken behaviour. I plump up the nesting box all nice and comfy every morning before I go to work, and every day when I go to collect the eggs (well I should just say "egg" as only Betty is laying at the moment), the straw is in a pile outside the nest box. I think they just like to organise it just right themselves and prefer to lay on the Aubiose underneath :roll: Whatever makes them happy :roll: