laurmurf

I've got a Bee Hive!!!!

Today's my 50th birthday and my darling family got me a bee hive!

it's a polystyrene Langstroth and I've got a smock and smoker and some pretty bee earrings to wear while i'm at it!

OH has even lined up a beek mentor for me and I'm getting a swarm in April.

I'm so excited!

:dance:

Congratulations, and a very happy birthday! You have years of fascinating and frustrating fun ahead - if you don't already have it, I recommend a copy of 'Bees & Honey' by Ted Hooper, to read before your bees arrive.

What a great present!

Wonderful.

Pictures please.

I'm :mrgreen:

If I had thought about it properly I would have my bees in poly langs as well.

I think Nats are too small so I went the 14x12 route which is great but I like top space so have had to cobble together kit from Modern Beekeeping. It's OK but their Langs are better.

Next thing after your beekeeping course is to get another hive so that you have 2.

Congratulations! I'm with Olly on the Ted Hooper book. It's my beekeeping bible. I'd also recommend a "starting with bees" type book as Ted can be a bit daunting for a beginner. I also used Paul Peacock's book and found it really useful to get me through the first year.

I'd definitely recommend joining your local BKA for advice, support and insurance reasons. Glad to hear you've got a mentor. It is so useful to have someone experienced to answer all those questions you are bound to have.

Good luck! :D