chuckmum6

Grrrrr broodies

My outbreak of broodies continue a pace, having 'cured' one, but now have three more all clucking madly in the coop of shame. I found one madam, Moneypenny, sitting under a bush on sixteen eggs, then a further three eggs under other bushes dotted around the garden :wall: !!!!!!!! So several bald bellied birds are cooling their nether regions on roosting bars for the next few days.

Must be that spring is in the air :wink: .

Fortunately I have never had a broody *touches wood lots of times*, but I did think my Scoot was showing signs last week, the eggs were swiftly removed (only 2) and she got the water pistol on her slightly bald tum :anxious: . She carried on alarmingly at having no eggs to sit on :lol: , I will be keeping a close eye on her me thinks.

Hope yours snap out of it soon.

I have sectioned off my cube train run, using a spare section I have, I have perches and grub and a glug and that's it apart from my broodies! It keep them cool and gives them no chance for nesting. Three days of this and they are cured! Until the next batch of hormonal hens!!!!!! I do also have a couple of spare coops too, but this is much better as it snaps them out of it quicker.

only 1 of my last lot got broody and we used 2 wire shopping baskets(kindly given to us by Tesco) and we put one upside down on top of the other with to make a basket then sat it on some bricks in the run so she could still se the others,we hung 2 little grit pots on the side so she had food and water and it did the trick and after 5 days she was ok and never had any probs.on a night we put her back in with the others and she used to sleep on the roosting bars.

Typical isn't it. I WANT my silkie to go broody and she won't oblige. She'll happily sit on her invisible eggs when it's -9 in the middle of winter, but suggest she might like to hatch me a few chicks on a lovely springlike day ? NO Way ! :roll::roll: We go on holiday in August and I want any chicks to be old enough to intergrate before we go, so she has at most another week to get her fluffy bum into gear :lol: ( or should that be out of gear? )