Gertie

Ticks in cats & Seresto collars - No more ticks!!!

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of using this, especially for cats. My vet told me about it on Monday. Apparently it sounds like a miracle product, but the vet said she had no experience of it as its new to them! Its £25 per collar, so expensive for 3 cats if it's not so good. Also, one cat in particular loses his collar on a weekly basis (I'm happy they come off as required but it could get a bit expensive at £25 a go :shock: )

http://seresto.com/en/seresto-for-cats/about-seresto/up-to-8-months-protection/

Many thanks!

Well this is a new one on me, I had never heard of it but it is available in the UK on prescription. I wonder why there has been so little promotion in the UK by Bayer. :?

The product has persistent acaricidal (killing) efficacy (Ixodes ricinus, Rhipicephalus turanicus) and repellent (anti-feeding) efficacy against tick infestations (Ixodes ricinus) for 8 months. It is effective against larvae, nymphs and adult ticks.

The sheep tick, Ixodes ricinus is mentioned in their licensing but the hedgehog ticks, Ixodes hexagonus, and British dog ticks, Ixodes canisuga are not mentioned which is interesting neither is the British deer tick Ixodes scapularis or the fox tick Ixodes canisuga. In common spot on tick products the licenses just state Ixodes Species rather than singling out individual Ixodes. With this collar however they are very specific. This may be because it only kills certain Ixodes, was too expensive to put it through testing for each one, or it is only effective against a few. I suspect the latter is true as I found an article on the use of the chemical Flumethrin which is the tick element of the collar( The other chemical is that same as in the spot on Advantage or Bob Martin's Double Action Spot On) that is used in a 'pour on' in cattle and it would appear that it is not as effective on some species of ticks.

I guess the only way to see if it is going to work for your cats is to try it :D

Thanks Chucky Mama

That's a very informative answer. Are you a vet or an entomologist!? I think you are right about trying it...it's going to cost £75 for 3 cats! I wasn't aware there were so many types of tick. I did notice that some are reddish brown and some are grey. Unfortunately, even thought all 3 cats were treated with frontline on 1st April there are still ticks attaching. I found one In Gerties ear.

I really hope Seresto works. I'm beginning to get paranoid every time I feel something tickling on my skin I think it's a tick!!

It's deer & sheep ticks. I'm still wondering if I'm under dosing, my small cat doesn't have any ticks as far As I can tell. But the others definitely do. I am checking myself, after feeling one crawling on me (for real). I rang the merial people and they said it can take 48 hours for the tick to die once attaching and it might not drop off.

Oh well, not much I can do I guess. I've ordered the collars, they arrive Tuesday. I will do trial and see if they are effective.

I'm also going to strim our meadows at the weekend so the grass is shorter. Hopefully we will get a dry day.

Thanks

A bit off the wall, but how about trying some of the herb repellants? I am sure they must make them for cats. I am thinking the equivalent of 'Billy No Mates' which is for dogs. I'm not suggesting it as a replacement for spot on treatment as it doesn't kill fleas/ticks, but the idea is that it makes the animal less attractive/tasty so the fleas and ticks don't attach in the first place. Might be worth a try alongside spot on treatments?

much as some humans tend to get bitten by mozzies more than others.

Tell me about it :roll: I am a mozzie-magnet! Is there an equivalent product for humans? I believe garlic is supposed to be effective, but I don't really fancy stinking of garlic! :lol:

ETA - Just checked the CSJ website and apparently you can use Billy No Mates for cats too.

Thanks very much...I'd be happy to try anything at this stage! I will defo have to try one of human collars! I'm a biting insect magnet too. That's how I know there are no fleas in the house!!

Not sure if I can convince my cats to eat garlic, but I'll see what I can find out and try

Xxx

I have got stronghold too for the worming properties, I used to use it every other month - before the tick problem.

My seresto collars have arrived so I just have to find the moggies to put them on now!

I definitely know that frontline does work. Since I upped the dose on my large cat Ive found dead ticks - hardly any since all the drama! But apparently seresto is also a preventative, so hopefully no more should hitch a ride inside.

I usually get mine wormed for tapeworm at their vaccination date. But now mogu is eating mouse for breakfast every day I ink I will have to do her more often!

I definitely know that frontline does work. Since I upped the dose on my large cat Ive found dead ticks - hardly any since all the drama!

Looks like underdosing might have been the issue then. I was talking to someone from Bayer the other week who said that many cats are now XL and need higher doses of flea treatments and wormer.

Slightly off track but talking about XL cats; just been around to my neighbour's, he has two small-framed cats and feeds them enormous amounts, leaving food around the house for them to browse at. Both of them are now tremendously overweight... very cruel to et them get like that. I have to say that when I look after them for him, they each get one small bowl of food a day.

Chucky Mama, I do feel that I was under dosing him. Having said that, I'm still getting the problem of hitch hiking live ticks on Bertie (XL).

However, the Seresto collars have finally arrived. The leaflet in with them says it kills and repells fleas & ticks, so I'm hopeful it will sort out the sheep & deer ticks.

Dog mother, that's awful about the over feeding. I had to have serious words with my dad when my cats were staying at his house - he's a serial over feeder. Even then, he snuck them treats at night so they all put on weight. My mum won't get any more cats because he wouldnt stop giving them snacks Inbetween meals. Thankfully now we are in our new house now the cats are back to their normal size.

Just thought I'd update about the ticks& collars etc.

Bertie has a seresto collar on and so far no more ticks. Gertie & Mogu have frontline & still no more ticks. I wonder if it's aided by the weather as well...I wonder if all the ticks might have drowned in the rain or gone under cover until the sun shines again. Still, no more ticks = :D