TINKS Posted June 28, 2007 Share Posted June 28, 2007 Hi We are the proud owner of a green cube which we've had for nearly 2 months now. However since the hens have moved from the eglu into the cube we get at least one or two cracked eggs every day. I think its the design of the cube as they all seem to lay in the same corner and then have to walk over (and sometimes on)the eggs to get out of the hole into the main area of the cube. Has anyone else noticed the same problem or is it only me who has silly hens? confused Deb Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted June 28, 2007 Share Posted June 28, 2007 Hmmm that does sound a little unusual My 7 girls lay in the cube and ive never had a broken egg. Are your girls shifting the straw about so the eggs are on the base of the nesting floor and then easier to crack? Perhaps more bedding might be the trick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted June 29, 2007 Share Posted June 29, 2007 I don't know. I'm loving my cube. I thought my girls had stopped laying then two days after getting the cube one layed an egg! If noone else has this problem do you think that it might just be your hens. As you know they all have daft habits. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocchick Posted June 29, 2007 Share Posted June 29, 2007 They could be thin-shelled eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TINKS Posted July 3, 2007 Author Share Posted July 3, 2007 Thanks for your advice. My eggs are cracked on top so I don't think its because of the flooring. The eggs are still usable and the shell doesn't seem thin. So I must assume it just my silly hens as one else has had the same problem. Two hens prefer to lay under the conifer hedge and those eggs are fine Deb Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Pearsons Posted July 3, 2007 Share Posted July 3, 2007 My hens chuck all the nesting material out of the nest area. I've tried all sorts - straw, paper shred, hemcore but they just scratch it away and lay on the bare plastic...... Silly girls Helen in Hume Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
feemcg Posted July 3, 2007 Share Posted July 3, 2007 I've had a few cracked eggs too recently - I think its because the nest box is quite deep and one of my girls is stepping/hopping down too heavily onto any eggs that are already in there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sue and the Spice Girls Posted July 4, 2007 Share Posted July 4, 2007 It might be cracked at the top , but still caused by the floor...something to do with geometry ..... I'm not having that problem with my cube, isn't it fascinating how they put all the eggs together, including the pot ones, and mine are usually in the corner. PS How did you manage to get a cuse in your singature...I've been trying to find out but no one seens to know? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted July 4, 2007 Share Posted July 4, 2007 It might be cracked at the top , but still caused by the floor...something to do with geometry ..... I'm not having that problem with my cube, isn't it fascinating how they put all the eggs together, including the pot ones, and mine are usually in the corner. PS How did you manage to get a cuse in your singature...I've been trying to find out but no one seens to know? PM one of the moderators & they will be sure to help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...