karencopas

thinking of keeping indian runners for the first time

hi everyone,i've never ever posted on a forum before so hope i'm doing it right?

at the nursery school where i work we've hatched 11 indian runner ducks and one call duck which we are all very proud of, we have a home for all of them but are now considering keeping some of them, we have a large orchard and would keep them in partnership with the parents. probably our biggest worry is foxes as we have had them before-i'm sort of thinking an eglu cube and a walk in run? ideally we'd probably choose the omlet cube and run (but not sure the run can be attached if cube on the ground)with another extended area for them to free range. would greatly appreciate any thoughts/help/advice on how to keep them safely.

also would the ducklings be ok to live in my garage-half term approaching and thinking i may bring them home, we have a brooder and a big run.

thankyou all in advance

karen

Hello and welcome karencopas. I am also preparing to get ducks, but not Indian runners, though they do look such fun - just call ducks. I have been told that an omlet set up with a WIR would be fine but that was an eglu and your ducks are a lot taller than mine will be. I think you might have to adapt the entrance 'steps / ladder' for the cube, or make it so that it sits directly on the floor or on something low like a couple of bricks, but others will probably have more experienced advice.

Unless you have the (cube green) off the wheels and on the ground it would not be of any use, ducks would not be able to climb the (cube green) ladder. I have 2 indian runners and a small white duck. If you have the money to spend on a (cube green) you would have enough to buy an Omlet run and either attach a !gogreen! with roosting bars removed or buy a wooden house to go inside. This would enable you to buy run extentions when you recieve more funds. Ducks are more resiliant the chickens and mine tend to sleep in the run rather than inside the !gogreen! unless it is very cold. :roll:

hi, thanks for your helpful comments am i right in thinking the cube off the wheels won't attach to the omlet run?

also have read the go and the classic would be too small with the run?

or what about the walk in run with the go or classic so the ducks only used the go/classic for sleeping and could leave the door open when warmer/with door closed for colder nights.

thanks so much the more i look into it the harder it gets and the less likely it seems! i don't feel i could go ahead with keeping my ducklings unless they were safe from foxes and it seems only omlet offer this peace of mind.

I don't know how fixed you are on getting a plastic house but you could get a WIR from Omlet and put one of the Flyte so Fancy duck houses inside it. They do one specifically for Runner Ducks called the The Puddleduck house.

I've just got their Dinky Duck house for my 2 call ducks and it is very well made. We've painted ours in various shades of blue. Ducks to arrive on Sunday :dance: Here it is before the ducks muck it up.

DinkyDuckhousejustpainted_24-05-12.jpg

(Not sure what has happened to Photobucket but it seems to be about to give up and I can't re-size on it anymore)