Purplemaniacs

Moving outdoors questions Updated

The chicks are almost 7 weeks now and they will soon be out-growing the brooder. They are a mixture of bantams.

When they go outside they will go in an eglu run and eglu without the bars but I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, will they manage the eglu grub and glug, I will put the water and food holders they are used to in too or should I buy bigger versions of the ones they are used to.

Secondly, at night will they go in the eglu, if I put a torch in as I have for new chooks and ex batts will this work with them. I don't think I could get in an eglu run to catch them and put them to bed :( .

Bit worried about this next stage in the chicks development so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Chrissie

Edited by Guest

Hello, I think if you put the original feeders down it would be better, I would be concerned that a chick could get into a glug and drown , with regards to getting into the eglu at night oh don't worry they will do it alone, I just leave my door open and hav made a ramp into it with a thin piece of planking, the weather has got nicer so as long as there is a nice bit of straw in there they will be fine.. :)

I put an old plastic tablecloth covering halfway down the run to keep the rain off.. Those eglus are murder to try and crawl into.. :roll:

At 6 weeks, I'd be leaving them outside in the day and bringing them in a night for a few nights then leaving them out.

My chicks are nearly 4 weeks old now, and I'm thinking I'll probably let them out in the daytime soon. I'm aiming that mine will be out day and night at 6 weeks old (as my spare room is a complete mess due to them..... oh the dust... oh the bedding!!) At the moment, mine are off heat in the day, on heat at night, but I'm planning for no heat in the night in about a week as they are so well feathered now.

I'd use traditional feeders/drinkers initially as thats what they are used to.

The boys are living outside and are just fine :)

I'd put their original feeder and drinker down for now then remove the feeder in a few days leaving them with the grub

I agree that the glug is possibly a bit deep for them at the moment

The torch trick would work or you could use a broom through the run door to chivvy them in to the Eglu but do this before it gets completely dark while they are alert as when they start sleeping in the corner of the run they are grumpy and heavy to move!

as my spare room is a complete mess due to them..... oh the dust... oh the bedding!!

Space Chick I know what you mean my utility is just the same, I never thought they could make such a mess.

The boys are living outside and are just fine :)

Thanks Redwing, if they are ok then it is time for their eleven little friends to go out too.

I am off to build an eglu and run and when they have moved into their new home I can set to cleaning the utility :D

Chrissie

Eglu and run built and now they are in their new home (blue eglu) .

They look so small now they are outside. I was surprised when the ex bats announced their disapproval :D

The bantam chicks seem very happy kicking about their aubroise in the sunshine :D:D

Omleteers thank you for all your help, I couldn't have done it without you :D:D

Chrissie

My chicks are only 3 1/2 weeks and have been outside during the day in this lovely weather but it looks as though the sunshine is gone so I guess I'll have to have them indoors now. I think they'll be dissapointed because they loved being outside.