LolaLayla Posted May 29, 2012 Share Posted May 29, 2012 Since getting our 2 LF silkies (Trixie and Estelle) in January I have been able to let them FR with my original hybrid girls (Lola and Layla). There are sometimes skirmishes with Lola being the main feather puller. The silkies usually turn tail if they see the others appearing. However in the hot weather they have all taken to sitting under the ivy by the wall and it has been harmonious. Any attempt to settle them at night together has always ended with a bit of a squawkfest so I have just kept the 2 eglus on the go. Today I had to put Trixie in the broody cage as she was glued to the nest box so that has left Estelle with the originals. Tonight Layla settled in the silkies eglu and Lola (the main aggressor) in her one. So I have taken the plunge and put Estelle in with Layla. There was no commotion and they seem quite ok. I just hope all will be well in the morning Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted May 30, 2012 Share Posted May 30, 2012 Was it a success? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 30, 2012 Author Share Posted May 30, 2012 Well things are a bit strange I let Estelle and Layla out and at first only Estelle appeared. She was calm, healthy and went straight to the grub to eat. Layla appeared and she does not look well She is standing in the run with heavy eyes and has not eaten. I am 100% sure this has nothing to do with Estelle as she is very unassuming and would not hurt Layla so I think this is a coincidence, but wonder if it is why Layla went into the wrong eglu last night Lola seems ok after her night alone. She shot out her run and into the other one to eat the food from the grub there (she does have one of her own) giving Estelle a couple of pecks for good measure on the way past I am worried about Layla though and will keep an eye on her today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 30, 2012 Share Posted May 30, 2012 Hmm, I don't think it's connected either but I'd keep an eye on her all the same. Do you have any liquid poultry tonic about? Dilute that down a bit and syringe some into her. Make sure that she's not being bullied away from the food and water. Chickens have weak hearts anyhow and sometimes the hot weather is just too much for them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 30, 2012 Author Share Posted May 30, 2012 I have some tonic so will give her some of that. She seems a bit brighter now in that her eyes are fully open, I saw her eating/drinking and she has laid an egg. However I noticed her poo seemed a little watery and she is sitting down for longer than usual. I do not think it is because it is too hot for her either as it is 19 degrees today but cloudy. Do you think that the very hot weather we had has caused her some harm? I had a good check over her and there was nothing unusual to see. She is just not 'right' though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 30, 2012 Share Posted May 30, 2012 It's great that you're so vigilant and have picked this up. without looking at her it's hard to say what might be ailing her, but I'd just treat the symptoms and make sure that she is eating and drinking OK. Is it possible to pick her up and give her a gentle once-over? Just check that everything works, her abdomen should feel slightly squishy (be gentle) apart from any eggs that she could have inside. Her vent should be moist but not wet nor exuding any liquid/messy. The only other question is when were they all wormed (and with what) and have they recently been treated with lice? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 30, 2012 Author Share Posted May 30, 2012 Thanks for the advice DM. I have had a good look at her and I cannot find anything wrong. Her eyes are clear and there is no discharge from her nose. She felt a bit bony at her chest but Lola is only a bit fatter. Her vent looks fine although there is slight evidence of poo over her feathers there, but nothing major. She did not feel as if her body was swollen. I checked for mites etc round her neck, under her wings and vent but there was nothing to observe. She drank some of the tonic and ate some meal worms. Although not totally well she is still able to run when I tried to lift her up Which is a good sign. I checked up in my diary and I wormed them with flubenvet (pellets with medication in them) starting on 3/2 so I should be worming them again. I have just ordered the bag so hopefully I can get started soon with that. Maybe that is the problem...I feel a bit guilty now as it is past the 3 months Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 30, 2012 Share Posted May 30, 2012 I wouldn't feel guilty, it could be absolutely anything and hens are good at hiding illness. It's just lucky that you are observant and picked up on it. Egg layers should always feel a bit boney around the chest, they aren't meant to feel 'meaty'. Sounds as if you're doing all you can and that time will tell, just give her a check every couple of days. Worming is only one possible reason for a hen being off colour, and worth eliminating from the list of possibilities. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 30, 2012 Author Share Posted May 30, 2012 Thanks She looks good in other ways. I forgot to mention that her comb is a lovely red colour too. It is just her odd behaviour and all the sitting about is not her at all. Unfortunately the pellets probably won't be with me for a week due to the bank holiday but when I get them the girls will be confined to barracks and wormed asap. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 31, 2012 Author Share Posted May 31, 2012 Layla seem a lot brighter today so I have no idea what the problem was yesterday. Although she is still sitting down more than usual I decided to cancel my order for the medicated pellets which was going to take a week to come as I managed to source them relatively locally and picked them up today. Worming will start tomorrow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted May 31, 2012 Share Posted May 31, 2012 Hope Layla continues to make an improvement. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted May 31, 2012 Author Share Posted May 31, 2012 Thanks, she seems to have improved but has green poo now Anyway I have the medicated pellets for them all to start tomorrow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chestnutmare Posted May 31, 2012 Share Posted May 31, 2012 I hope the womer does the trick. Mine have been very hot. I sprayed them gently with the hose pipe on Saturday. They were obviously uncomfortable from the heat, Belle especially, (it was scorching here) and it really did give them almost instant relief. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted June 4, 2012 Author Share Posted June 4, 2012 Still worming the girls and Layla is fine now which is great One slight worry is that my broody silkies are hardly eating the pellets as they are more interested with the nest box (and that is after Trixie spending the 3 days in the broody cage) I just keep throwing some pellets down from time to time to try to get them to eat some. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 4, 2012 Share Posted June 4, 2012 Can you leave some in with them? I have a broody at the moment, she has a coop cup of flubenvet pellets in the broody cage with her and she seems to be eating them.... well, there's nowt else for her to eat in there! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted June 5, 2012 Author Share Posted June 5, 2012 Trixie, although back in the eglu following her stint in the broody cage still wants to stay inside most of the time and I have to keep pushing her out into the run to try to get her to eat something. Meanwhile Estelle has just finished 3 days in the cage. She had access to a container with food and one with water but seemed to spend most of her time sitting down. Today they are back together in the run and hopefully because Estelle is back with her maybe Trixie will come out of the eglu a bit more. When they are in this mood they certainly don't eat as much as the other girls and all they have in the run is a bit of grass and the pellets. I just hope they are getting enough of the medication Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...