scarlettohara Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 (edited) Have an 18 week old boy who is very sleepy today, he will eat (mealworms and wet growers) but keeps closing his eyes as if the light hurts him. I'm stumped as can find nothing else wrong with him I've given him some marbosyl, if he was a girl I'd say she was coming into lay - most odd Edited June 26, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 25, 2012 Author Share Posted June 25, 2012 Done a couple of white watery poos with a green tinge I'm going to worm as a precaution but was only wormed about 2 months ago however could have missed out as was a newbie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 25, 2012 Author Share Posted June 25, 2012 No-one have any ideas, despite antibiotics and pain relief he seems to be going downhill fast Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted June 25, 2012 Share Posted June 25, 2012 Oh sorry to hear that. Hope all your efforts help. Can you bring him in and keep him warm? Let us know what happens. I lost one of my pekins recently despite mine and the vets best efforts, sometimes it seems out of our hands Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 26, 2012 Author Share Posted June 26, 2012 Hes no better this am so I have trawled the forum and given him flubenvet mixed to a paste with a syringe as his droppings do suggest worms As he's not eating should I mix a little sugar with the water I'm syringing in at intervals ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Sorry to hear about your boy. Have you got any Nutridrops? I have seen them recommended for chickens that aren't eating. If he doesn't improve very soon, I would take him to a vet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 26, 2012 Author Share Posted June 26, 2012 He's seen the vet He didn't really have any symptoms when he went but I am now wondering if its cocci so am going to try coxoid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Sorry, didn't realise he'd seen the vet. What did the vet say? Can you get a poo sample tested at your vet? They will be able to tell you if it's cocci. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
igobarefoot Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 My buff sussex had similar symptons on Saturday. Watery and very green poos and couldn't keep her eyes open. She was so lifeless we didn't think she was going to make it. We syringed some water into her and took her to the vet and he diagnosed enteritus and gave her an antibiotic injection in her back. Nursed her all weekend and fingers crossed she is getting better. Still struggling to reach round to her gland to preen though which shows how sore her tummy must have been. Hope that helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 26, 2012 Author Share Posted June 26, 2012 He didn't have the sloppy poo when I took him was just lethargic and not eating so got abx as a precaution. I didn't think he'd be alive this morning either. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 I hope he pulls through. Have you started him on the antibiotics? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 26, 2012 Author Share Posted June 26, 2012 Yes gave them to him at the vets, he's not responding to anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 29, 2012 Share Posted June 29, 2012 I've only ever had two of this particular breed and colour make it to adulthood I am afraid to say. They just dont seem to thrive like other youngsters do I'd start him on a course of Cocci medication if you havent already but I would guess that there is a bigger problem somewhere Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted June 29, 2012 Author Share Posted June 29, 2012 He didn't make it but that's interesting to know Tasha thank you. He had everything he could have but just faded away, you sort of know that they're not going to get better. He was a sweet little thing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...