Spinning Top

Bare bottoms

Our two biggest girls (a Rhode Island Red and a Light Sussex) have got bare bums. They don't look red or sore, just pink and un-feathered for an area a few inches across around their vents. No lice, mites or other nasties in sight although I've powdered them all to be on the safe side. Normal poos and wormed a couple of months ago (What a glamorous pastime this is!). No feather pecking going on either.

I read somewhere that good layers can end up with bare bums and wondered if they could be rubbing on the nesting materials? I use Easibed and haven't had any problems up to now (we bought them at POL just before Christmas) and the other girls are fine. Do big girls have more delicate derrieres? Should I try Easichick or Aubiose instead of Easibed? I'm reluctant to chuck a full bag away if it's not the culprit !

I read somewhere-no idea where-that this can be a sign that the baldy is possibly top chicken-she pushes past everyone to get to the goodies and then gets a pecked bottom, kind of makes sense! I have one like this, perfectly healthy but completely bald "Ooops, word censored!"!