Flossy Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 Hi - I have a miss pepper pot hybrid who has not come out of the coop at all this morning - I have had her for 4 weeks and she has laid since day 1 with no softies. She was out all day yesterday FR. Could she be egg bound or do they sometimes take a long time laying? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 Article from the FAQ section on egg binding Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leeloo Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 I've found that black hybrids tend to be tremendously broody so that could be the problem! Does she look sick or is she puffed up and grouchy when you check on her? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Flossy Posted July 15, 2012 Author Share Posted July 15, 2012 She's quite puffed and grumbled when I picked her up . As she was disturbed, she went off and had something to eat and then went back into the coop( I snuck a hot water bottle in while she was out). There were quite a few black feathers in the nest box too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 Sounds like she has gone broody. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Flossy Posted July 15, 2012 Author Share Posted July 15, 2012 Thanks Egluntyne I'm really not sure - she is alert and looks at me when I open the nest box and there are feathers and she appears fluffed up but when I took her out for 5 mins there was runny poo and when I peered in the nest box her tail feathers were flicking/ pulsating. I'm panicking as we go away soon and I don't want my friendly neighbour having to deal with this. Also I don't want to drag her off the nest box if she's sick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 I'd take her to the vet if you're still concerned about her tomorrow. It's a worry when you're due to go away... at least your mind will be put at rest if they tell you she's just broody. Then you can take steps to deal with that before your neighbour takes over chicken duties! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Flossy Posted July 15, 2012 Author Share Posted July 15, 2012 Well here's an update - she laid an egg after an hour on the hot water bottle but stayed put. I lifted her out of the nest box and put her on the ground but she didn't move and sat there all fluffed up. I offered her food ( which she scoffed) then placed her back in the run and closed the eglu door. When I checked later she was sat by the door waiting to go back in. I've put a plant pot in the nest nix for the night to try to keep her off. So - from the info you all gave me I'm assuming she's broody and feel a bit better now - just need to snap her out of it. Any suggestions on how my neighbour should deal with her if she carries on- I have the time to coax her to eat etc but don't know if this is going to be a big ask. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted July 16, 2012 Share Posted July 16, 2012 Good news about the egg You need to put her in a broody cage. I think there should be some info in the FAQ's. If not just do a search on the forum. It basically involves a pet cage with the base taken out so that she stands on the wire. It needs to be elevated off the ground on a few bricks to get the air circulating around. Put fresh water and food in there every day for her and she should snap out of it after about 3 days and nights. Keep her in there all the time though for it to work successfully. Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...