Nicola O

Ill cat - HE'S HOME !!!- UPDATE

Are dog rocks safe for cats?? I made enquiries before buying them for the dogs and thought they were, but now I'm not so sure.....

The reason I ask - tonight I've had to rush my 10 yr old mog to the vets in a state of total collapse. Norman had been off colour for a couple of days so I had an appointment tonight anyway, but getting in from work this afternoon he couldn't even lift his head so I scooped him up and rushed him over. The vet could feel an obstruction in his abdomen and his temperature was dangerously low - 3.5 degrees lower than normal. The vet actually said 'this is the body temp of a patient who is dying' :shock: . Norm's heart was still strong so vet said blood test and x-rays, and if we can get his temp up, surgery for the obstuction. But, the x-ray showed crystals in his urine which had blocked his urethra and the 'obstruction' was his bladder that was fit to burst. Urethra cleared and a MASSIVE wee later the initial panic is over, but this has caused cronic kidney failure so now the test is to see if his kidneys can 'fix' themselves or he may need to be PTS.

The vet said this would have been caused by his diet. Norman has eaten the same dry food for the last eight years, and the ONLY thing that has changed in his diet is the dog rocks I put in the dogs water bowl three weeks ago. Can these have done this to him, or is it just a coincidence ??

Sorry for the long post but I can't shake the thought that I have caused him to become seriously ill and, if he doesn't make it, I may even end up killing him (hope that doesn't sound to over dramatic).

Nicola

Edited by Guest

You poor thing, I really feel for you and hope Norman pulls through but whatever happens don't blame yourself, sounds like he was poorly before so this could have been building up anyway. I have heard of dog rocks but surely there would be a warning if they were dangerous to other animals, my cat always drinks from the dogs bowl so I'm sure you are not alone. Anyway fingers crossed he is ok.

Just had a look on various sites and apparently they are totally safe for cats.

I looked at a load of sites too before I got them - but you know when that nagging thought pops in your head and wont go away.

If Norm's kidney markers have gone down by tomorrow he can come home as it means he is on the mend - so I'm keeping everything crossed for him.

The vet said this would have been caused by his diet.

:? Sorry but don't agree with this. A change in diet could help prevent crystals reforming but a recent change of diet (which he hasn't had) would not have caused them. Crystals form over time and cannot be caused in a matter of days/weeks/couple of months. A blocked bladder is one of the few true veterinary emergencies and cats do become critically ill if the symptoms are not picked up quickly - many owners think that their cats are constipated rather than straining to urinate. With IV fluids he should pick up very quickly and his kidney function should improve. If he has pre existing age related kidney disease however, this could take a little longer. Try not to worry too much and certainly don't blame yourself as the dog rocks wont have been an issue with this episode. Whilst prescription foods used to be advised for cats with stones by most vets, many are now simply telling owners to switch their cats to wet food. :wink:

Thanks for the info CM.

The vet did say is was good that it was crystals rather than stones, but he didn't say why. Is it just that crystals are easier to 'clear out' of the bladder/urethra? Norman doesn't have any previous kidney problems so I'm hoping for the best when they ring - though if they don't ring soon I'll have to ring them as the wait is agony.

The vet also said that Norman hadn't wee'd for some time but I had no idea as I don't have a litter tray indoors, he always goes outside. He only showed signs of being a bit off colour on Wednesday morning, he was still poorly but 'not bad' on Thursday night but made an appointment for Friday night anyway and that was when he had 'collapsed'. The speed of it was really scary.

Oh, and I hope I don't have to switch him over to wet food, as he has always refused to eat it in the past and will only eat dry.

Good news :D . Just called the vets and had a long chat.

Norman is doing OK, he is up, meowing and purring at everyone. The catheter (spl) is still in but the urine is getting clearer (good sign). He hasn't eaten yet (they had only offered him wet food so I said to try dry).

Apparently the readings for his Urea and something else (Creatin ?? - I can't remember what the nurse called it now) were off the scale last night. Today his urea is 40 (should be between 5 - 20) and the other thing should be between 50 -200 Norm's was over 1100 :shock: - it is now 400 so all the levels are coming down. Really pleased. :D His temperture is still low bit is slowly going up, but they have him on a cosy heat mat.

They are not going to let him out today, hopefully tomorrow. They have told me what the bill is so far and I went :shock: - but I dont begrudge Norm a penny, it's worth it to get him well again.

:D

That is all pretty normal for a critically 'blocked' cat. The reason that it is better for it to be crystals is that if he had a stones he would need surgery to remove it/them. If he is a cat that doesn't like wet food,it would be best for him to go on to one of the special prescription diets for cats prone to crystals such as Hills S/D or C/D or Royal Canin Feline Urinary Diet. These diets prevent crystals forming. :)

Had another call from the vet. He's improved a bit more, temp up a bit (though not back to normal yet), he's more 'interactive' now but he still hasn't eaten anything. If he hasn't eaten by the morning the nurse will try syringing some wet food into him. They will not let him out yet, I suppose they want a bit more improvement and to see him eat before he comes home.

I've been thinking of loads of questions to ask the vet when he does come home, so I'm writing a list as I know I wont remember them all at the crucial moment. Things like:

Are his kidneys permenantly damaged now?

Will he be on meds from now on?

Will he need special food from now on?

Now it's happened once, is it more likely to happen again?

and other such things

The nurse let me pop in to visit Norman.

He still hasn't eaten so I took in some cheese which he loves. He wouldn't touch it so I left it in the hope that he may tuck in later. I think he was playing the sympathy card, as although he didn't get up for a cuddle the nurse said he was very 'interactive' previously - perhaps he wore himself out :lol: .

It sounds as though he has had a near death experience as the nurse said that after I left him friday evening his temp dropped so low that the thermometer couldn't record it (below 32 degrees :shock: ). It is now up to 37.8 so nearly normal and his wee is now clear so the nurse thinks he can come home tomorrow.

Feel a lot happier now I've seen him and looking forward to him coming home.

Had a long chat with the vet today. He was explaining the urine tests they do, and all the really high levels and low temp he had (I don't think he knew that the vet nurse had told me all this on saturday)and he kept saying 'Norman is a medical miracle, he should be dead', he really seemed amazed that Norman had survived - I think he's used up several of his nine lives.

They are keeping him in for one more day. As he has been so ill the vet wants to get his levels back within 'acceptable perameters' before he comes home, but at the rate he is improving that should be tomorrow.

HE'S HOME !!!!! :D:D

He has the major hump though, and keeps running away from me so even though I'm dying to give him a huge cuddle I'll have wait till he's ready. I have to keep him in for a few days so typically on the hottest days of the year I've got to keep the house closed up :roll:

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and good wishes for Norman's recovery. Once he's more settled I'll get his picture so you can see my gorgeous boy.