Donna C Posted July 25, 2012 Share Posted July 25, 2012 I decided to re-home my last orp with my cousin in cambridge as she has a lot of land and nice flock of mixed girls. So glad I did as just got call to say she's settled in really well and now has a new boyfriend,so after months of trying to stop her being broody (and loosing the fight) it seems she may get chance to be a mummy so, I pick up three lovely ex-batts on Saturday. Havn't had them for a few years so any advice would be very much appriciated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted July 25, 2012 Share Posted July 25, 2012 How exciting, I love ex batts. Just treat them like any other hens, they might look a bit fragile but I promise you they won't break. They'll need mash to start with instead of pellets and a good tonic such as Lifeguard is a good idea to give them a boost. They won't know how to go to bed at night or use a nest box, but they'll work all that out in good time (mine always have so far). Plenty of food and drink stations so you don't end up with a bully hen guarding the food and water and check them for parasites as they often bring 'little friends' with them. Other than that, all you need is a garden chair, a camera and a nice glass of wine! Enjoy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted July 25, 2012 Author Share Posted July 25, 2012 Sounds great. Going to buy mash when collect them as thought would be nice to boost donation.will they sell life guard aswell? Also when is it best to worm, mite etc them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted July 25, 2012 Share Posted July 25, 2012 Mine have never arrived with mites. Maybe worm after a month or so? I think they have been pretty well chemically treated whilst caged. Just enjoy, you will have a lot of fun seeing them develop! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted July 25, 2012 Share Posted July 25, 2012 Not sure if they will sell Lifeguard too, maybe phone and check before you go to collect? Otherwise you could order it online or see if your local horsey/country store sells it. I wait a few weeks before worming to let the hens settle in, but if they have creepy crawlies I (personally) think they are best treated asap, so maybe get some Johnson's spray ready if you don't already have some. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ohcarolina Posted July 28, 2012 Share Posted July 28, 2012 I did a rescue with a group a couple of weeks ago and these were ex-batts that has been moved into a barn at the end of last year when the batt cage ban started. I took 25 for various people and some were well feathered and some quite bald (in fact I kept two little girls back who were under the weather. Big bum had Peritonitis and passed away last weekend but Baldy is doing fine - although preeeety bald in parts). I'm new to rescuing but their condition does seem to vary. Good luck with your girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...