SueChick

First Chicken Keeping Queries

The Glug is designed to sit on the ground: the plastic hooks are just for gentle support at the back to stop it falling forward, not to carry weight. It would not be possible to hang it up.

:shock: I've always hung both the Glugs up! :shock:

They have never fallen off, and I fill them to the brim every day. :D

hang ours up too !! never known any different ! :shock:

Oh dear, I can see now I am quite, quite wrong. I suppose the weight acts as a counterbalance and helps hold it in place. I have made life hard for myself!

(I am still waiting for the new drinker for the Cube, but assume everyone else is too. I had better read the instructions carefully when it comes.....)

Mine have always been hung up as well Gallina! :lol:

But I inherited a set of the old style peanuts with my green eglu - ended up putting the drinker on the floor - it tipped so far forward that hardly any water stayed in when it was hung up! (or was I doing something wrong?) I've invested in a new, green glug and grub and just use the old peanuts as extra feeders. :roll:

I hang my peanut feeder up on the side of the run but "lop sided" on the metal so that they actually hang straight.... don't know if that's what I am supposed to do, but it works. I bought a small watering can with a long thin spout to refill the water when I do not want the girls to get out of their run.... they prefer to drink the water that spills out on to the floor as well :roll:

You know what it's like, you spend loads of elbow grease getting the thing clean, & they don't thank you for it :D

But they are so dreadfully heavy when full. Are they really meant to be hung up??? The Glug holds four pints (which weigh five pounds).

I have just looked at the Omlet website, and they do appear to be hung up. How very strange. I must try it.

The old peanut-style feeders had proper metal hooks on the back that clipped tightly on the wire so that they didn't fall off. I felt safer with them.

I don't hang mine up either... just use the hooks to support and stop ot rolling forwards.

What you would have liked is the old peanut-shaped drinker. Some of us still think that they were better, so sadly (from your point of view) are keeping them. They held less, but being lighter they could be hung up easily: they had proper hooks designed for this too.

Ah, it all makes sense now, i've seen pics with the proper hooks on them and wondered why mine never had them. I love my glugs and grubs but do feel they would benefit from having proper hooks on them. Never mind !