Minnie&Moose

Pippi is coming to stay with us for a year

Pippi the rabbit is coming to live with us while her owners are away in France for a year. She's friendly but doesn't like being held. She's an outdoor rabbit, has always lived on her own and is about 3 years old I think. Any tips for making friends with her and encouraging her to accept being handled so that I can check her over regularly and also bring her into the house in the evenings for a bit of company because I'm concerned she might be lonely? I've looked after a variety of different types of animals over the years but never a rabbit so any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Hi,

Lots of rabbits hate being picked up, I tend not to force it to be honest but get them used to being fussed

on their level.

Rabbits have very sensitive tummy's and are susceptible to stasis, They will live happily on a diet of mainly

hay with a little dark greens and a small amount of pellets everything else should be treated as a treat.

They love to throw toys around that make noise;

I have baby rattles which they throw around and sometimes sound as if they are trying to get a rock band

together!

I'm a member of RWAF which provide lots of info on their website.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=course.html

Well, Pippi and I are getting more confident at transferring her between her hutch and the house without mishap. She definitely enjoys her evenings in with us so I'm going to see if I can encourage her to use a litter tray, then she can stay in a bit longer - though the cat's going to be miffed because he gets shut in the bathroom while Pippi gets to play with us.

When Pippi's in with us she chooses to lie stretched out on the rug, often just touching us - she appears quite relaxed (doesn't hide away) but her heart and breathing rate seem very fast to me, even for a small animal. I can't make up my mind whether she's terrified or happy. Any ideas?

It sounds like she would enjoy being a house rabbit :lol: , Does the owner worm her at all?

I think you're right Lillybettybabs:D Would she be OK being a house rabbit for the winter and then becoming an outdoors rabbit again in the late spring/summer in preparation for her owners' return, or would it be difficult for her making the switch re different temperatures? I am concerned she's going to get very lonely in the winter out in the garden so even if she doesn't live inside permanently I was planning on moving her hutch and run to the patio, right by the back door, so we have no excuse for not having her in with us during the evenings.

re worming - good question - I don't know but I'll find out. I do know she's up to date with vaccinations (I have the vaccination records). Also, is it a good idea to treat rabbits for fleas on a regular basis the way I do the cat? She doesn't have direct contact with wild rabbits as far as I'm aware (I've never seen any evidence of them in the garden) but I've no idea whether cat fleas can live on rabbits or vice versa.

Many thanks for your help.

I don't really treat mine for fleas on a regular bases but i have some spot on things just in-case,

worming is more important with rabbits.

I think she'll be fine as a house bunny in the winter and slowly introduce her slowly back out during the spring

summer. Mine go out a little in the winter for a bit of fresh air (hour or so) on nice days also i can do a thorough

clean of their cage etc.

Be careful they are little charmers :lol:

Pippi has well and truly 'got her feet under the table' in our household. At the weekend she escaped from her run as I was trying to catch her - she had a blast skipping round the lawn chasing the chickens - there was much squawking and flapping from them and much bounding and bouncing from her :lol: And then last night during her evening play inside she met our extremely elderly cat for the first time, squared up to him and refused to let him join her on the sofa :D Poor Max was very put out and stomped off to hide in the bathroom :roll: