Jennifer Jane Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 This morning DH let the girls out to FR as usual. About 10 or 15 minutes later they were making a dreadful racket so he went out to them & found a pile of feathers and the bodies of Paige and Red at the bottom of the garden I am absolutely devastated - what makes it worse is that they were ex-batts rescued by my niece last year and we took them on when she could no longer look after them. I said I would take good care of them, and I obviously failed. We knew the risks of letting them free range, but weighed that up against their quality of life, and the fact that we have never seen a fox around here. Now it's actually happened I have changed my mind, too late for poor Paige and Red. It all happened so quickly and we didn't see the culprit. The other hens are securely in their WIR now and in future I am only going to let them FR when one of us is there to watch them. We've checked them over and they seem unharmed though a little agitated of course. They are eating and chasing each other as usual. I just feel so guilty and hope my two lovely girls didn't suffer too much. They had just over a year out of the cage and 3 months with us ruling the roost. RIP my beautiful girls. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 So sorry Please don't feel bad this can happen to anyone who lets chooks FR in the garden as I do. They had a whole year of freedom and it would have been very quick. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 So sorry, that must have been an awful shock for you. My friend who has always let hers FR all day with no problems has lost girls on two occasions this year and has now had to resort to keeping them in. The ex batts had a good life, they would never have had the experience of fresh air and freedom if your neice and then you had not taken them on, so don't be too hard on yourself. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Kitty Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 I am so sorry to hear your news We lost one of our girls to the fox a week ago too. Please do not feel bad, they had a whole year of wonderful freedom. Thinking of you x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jennifer Jane Posted August 7, 2012 Author Share Posted August 7, 2012 Thanks for the replies. The remaining girls seem to have no ill effects thankfully, though Copper obviously had a narrow escape - she is missing quite a few of her beautiful feathers. Fortunately for her she is the chicken equivalent of Usain Bolt so the fox probably tried her but found an easier target. On the bright side, it may have altered the dynamics for the better as two of the bossier hens have gone. Poor deformed Flo who is very much a loner was actually tentatively scratching about near Buddy last night. I spoke to my niece last night and she was philosophical about it, as am I now that the shock has worn off. They did have a good year of freedom and were loved and cared for. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majuka Posted August 7, 2012 Share Posted August 7, 2012 Very sorry to hear this.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted August 7, 2012 Share Posted August 7, 2012 Sorry to hear about your hens I'm sure they had a good life Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...