smartrus

My ducklings are too attached to me!!

I am new to duck keeping and have already have chickens. We have now got 3 apple yard ducks who are just getting their adult flight feathers. They were reared by a family and are very friendly, well, here lies the problem!! When we are outside with them they are lovely, they happily peep and potter. But when we go inside, they run to the back door and continuously quack LOUDLY until we return, I am worried about complaints from neighbours. Any advice appreciated, they are lovely and we don't really want to get rid of them, when does the imprinting stop and when will they go off happily without us!!!!! Thanks for any help! xx

HI. its all become too much, they are very LOUD! We have now relocated the ducks to the back of the garden where the chickens live! They have their house, food, water, and they are quacking like mad! At least we cant hear them so much, and don't feel so bad for the neighbours but they are still noisy! Any advice welcome!

I would think that if they are quacking because they are imprinted then this would stop after a few days away from you, but I suspect it might be for food. So the only advice I can give is to make sure you don't 'reward' them by giving them treats when they quack, even if that usually shuts them up. You'll probably have to be firm for a day or two, giving them treats only when they are quiet, but you'll win out in the end and if a neighbour complains you can explain that you have it in hand and all will shortly be well as you are training them.

Thank you so much for the advice. We have been doing the wrong thing I think as I have been so worried about the noise that I have been going out with food to shut them up! They are now further down the garden and a bit easier to ignore. We were given an oaty mix to feed them on which they will have a bit of but not much. I give meal worms which they go mad for at night to get them in. Will try to ignore them a bit more and see if that helps. Do you think we should leave them alone completely for a couple of days as any contact with them escalates the problem. Thanks for replying, it good to have some advice. x

Hi, interesting to read your post and advice, I got two lovely call ducks on saturday who were also raised by someone who gave them a lot of attention. Daisy the female quacks so loudly whenever she sees me, but quiets down when I go and chat to her. Maybe I will have to try and ignore her but its so hard and they are only 13 weeks old.

Hi, I think these ducks may have been spoiled rather! I tell you what, I would hate to be a mother duck!!!! I am trying to ignore them at the moment and hope they shut up! I timed them this morning and it took 5 minutes initially but then 20 minutes later they started again! Good luck with yours, let me know how you get on. Any tips welcome!

Yes, we have only had them a week, hopefully soon they will chill out! I have read and read about keeping ducks and did my research, nowhere said about them pining for you or at what age they become independent and happy to be alone. I got more than one as they need company, but I didn't realise that company needed to be human!

Got a couple of photos on my phone! Haven't downloaded yet. They are miniature apple yards. 2 duck and a drake (we think!) I am going to entice them in soon with some meal worms, the good thing is that once they are in they are quiet until I let them out in the morning.

I've only had my ducks since about May but I can say that my little girly call duck does not so much 'need' human company as realise that it comes with good things. She set about training me very effectively and before I knew it I was Jeeves to her Worcester. She would quack when she wanted meal worms (which she adores), quack for me to open her house, quack for me to find her mate if he was in a different part of the garden, even quack for me to retrieve bits from the bottom of her pond :shock: I was becoming like a dancing bear. :roll: I then decided to appply the training I was told to give my terrier dog and ignore her demands (much to her consternation), only giving her treats when it suits me. She still does one or two loud quacks if she gets scared of something (like the neighbour's cat coming along the fence) but otherwise she is much better but still very sweet and tame.

smartrus, I'm not sure I'd ignore your duckies totally but would perhaps just go and talk to them in the evening at bed time for a couple of days. And I'm :mrgreen: that you have miniature appleyards. Where did you get them from?

Hi, We live in Northampton and got them from a garden centre! They are extremely lovely and full of character. I am surprised at how intelligent they are they certainly know their own mind! I thought it would be like having a couple more chickens only with the addition of water! How wrong I was! The children have spent the morning with them so ignoring them didn't happen! They are now quacking for England as we have all come in for lunch!!! :?

They can be very bright and interactive can't they and their little round beaks do no harm at all. On the other hand my girly duck is a lot brighter than her hubby who is, shall we say, a bit challenged in the brain department. She sits in the pool telling him how to get up the ramp and he still tries to get over the edge at the part where there is no ramp or step of any kind. Then she gets all impatient with him. I just know she is saying 'men' in a fed up tone of voice :lol: Even my OH has had to admit that Walter is not the brightest, although he feels this is 'letting the side down' :wink:

Chubby Chook, that did make me smile as its exactly what we think about our male duck Daffy, I think his name suits him. Daisy gets in the pond, quacking loudly at him, then gets out and goes over to him, this process repeats about four or five times and then he gets the message and gets in with her!

They are FRing at the moment as we are both working in the garden which has been funny, they have decided they like Cilla the black silkie and follow her around (they were hatched by a chicken), she doesn't seem to mind but the other girls are a bit wary of them.

We definitely have a dominant more vocal one! She has more flight feathers than the other 2. She gets them all wound up! :doh: We are off to a car boot saturday to find a childrens sand pit, we did have them in a lovely spot by the pond near the house but due to noise and devastation of the pond they have been evicted!!

Yes unless a pond is big ducks make it a dreadful mess so it seems best to have something you can tip the water out of and re-fill regularly. I've read that in commercial situations they have running water going through the duck pens like a fake river so that the water is kept clean. If ducks have a small 'natural' pond they can get infected by drinking the baccteria that quickly builds up in the dirty water. Most village ponds if you think about it, are quite big with only a very few ducks :think:

HI, we are seriously considering selling the ducks as nothing is working and I am very worried about the neighbours. We have tried everything! We would be very sorry to see them go as we are attached and they are extremely friendly. See the market place or contact me.

Hi Smartrus if you are that worried and you know your neighbours why dont you speak to them you maybe stressing over nothing they may not be taking any notice leanne :)

That's so true. It is amazing how stressed I've seen some Omleteers get over noisy hens only to find that their neighbours never even noticed. I think, also, you might need to give them a bit more time to settle in :think:

Hi all, thanks so much for the comments and advice. We are sad to say that the ducks have gone back from whence they came. We all admitted to each other that they were completely stressing us out, even the children agreed. We were dreading letting them out each morning and were shutting them away early each night for some peace. The final straw came when they quacked very loudly and continuously for over 3 hours, getting us and them more and more stressed, they were running into the fence (don't worry it is a soft mesh) and getting louder, you could even hear them from down the road, also our neighbours have just put their house up for sale and we really didn't feel it was fair on them. It would really have annoyed me if I was them! So the hard decision was made and we arranged to return them. It was a venture full of excitement, which has ended in bitter disappointment. So all those out there who are considering pet ducks, be warned of the noise! Maybe we were just unlucky, but we did no end of research and asked lots of questions about it, and were still totally unprepared for the problems they brought, my advice is make sure you have plenty of space, and no neighbours! Thanks again duck lovers for everything, don't get me wrong, they are lovely and we will miss them. :(:boohoo:

Chin up smartrus. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you thought they would. Reality and books can be so very different. It's always good to know when to knock it on the head (hypothetically speaking, of course!). You did the right thing for you, and the ducks had been away from their original home for such a short time that I'm sure all will be happy now. Tomorrow you'll probably wake up and feel a lot less stressed :) (Just remember that you are someone who is noise sensitive / gets stressed by loud noise so don't go getting a cockerel :wink: )