Mercedes55

Raw food diet for dogs

Carrots are good for their teeth, but are sweet, so ration them. Mine LOVE frozen peas on their breakfast! :lol:

Ruby is a speed eater of chicken; she crunches it properly but almost inhales it! I sometimes give it still frozen as it slows them down a bit.

They are both lying on their mats in the kitchen, crunching on lamb ribs. I will bring you some next weekend L_B, so perhaps bring your freezer box if you have one.

It was Prize Choice minced white fish (you can buy it in Pets at Home). To be honest, I won't bother buying it again as it was horrid, mushy stuff. I normally dish up tinned pilchards in tomato sauce but bought this as a change. But you can just feed whole raw fish if you want to. I've never seen any for sale cheap enough to make it worth buying it.

As for veg - I only feed it if I have any leftover from dinner. Whenever I've fed it raw, it's exited in much the same state as it has gone in (sorry if too much info!) so can't imagine it's providing any nutritional value if it's not being digested. It seems to be digested okay if cooked, but I'm guessing wolves and wild dogs don't have the facility to cook their veg - so I can't imagine it's an essential part of the diet.

I've just looked up keepers mix and it looks to pretty much have the same ingredients as the good stuff in Acana. So I think if Coco has a mix of Acana and raw when we can then she'll be pretty healthy. I have to say I did love the look on her face after the chicken wing; almost drunk pleasure.

Raw egg? Why, what in with her acana? Although we have an egg shortage here, girls arent laying at all now. This is the first time we've had to buy eggs since we got the girls :(

Ha ha it has entertained coco for over an hour and a half and she is still licking her lips!!! She loved it.

The bone I gave her was relatively big, about the size of her leg and that thickness. In the pack I got though were a variety of bones and I have quite a few that almost paper thin, some of which are a bit pointy and possibly sharp. Does this matter can she have all lamb bones and the sinew etc.

I have just looked at her again and she is now licking her crate bars, obviously where the bone has been on the bars. :lol::lol:

Am just hoping that the exercise and concentration will also make her a well behaved dog this evening :wink:

:lol: Glad Coco enjoyed it. Whilst she might be running round like a loony now, just remember you have had an hour and a half of peace and quiet as compensation, so it's not all bad!

I am pretty sure all lamb bones are okay. I feed chicken carcass which has some pretty small, pointy bones, although they are fairly soft, so I wouldn't think there should be any problems with different lamb bones. As long as the bones are raw, they are incredibly unlikely to splinter unlike cooked bones which are a complete no-no. And yes, any attached meat/fat/sinew is perfectly fine :D