Yorkshire Pudding

What are the rules on dog attacks please?

I'm asking this on behalf of my sister's friend.

Last year a neighbour's dog pushed open her sliding patio door to get into her flat. The door wasopen a crack for ventilation. It attacked her cats, killing one instantly (the poor creature was torn in two) and badly injuring the other. In trying to save the second cat she was also bitten. The dog was removed but has recently been returned to the owner.

She is distressed that this dog is back and feels unsafe in her home, scared for her own safety and that of her remaining cat; also many of her friends have small children and she is terrified about what damage the dog might cause if it were to return whilst they were visiting.

Can anyone advise who she could contact to express her concerns and ensure that if the dog is to remain next door, it is under proper control? She was not advised that it was to be returned to it's owner and has no information about any conditions that have been applied.

Hi there, she can contact her local dog warden and explain her concerns, I believe she'd find the number on her local council webpage, or in the local phone book. Dogs, by law, have to be kept under control and have no right of roaming (unlike cats), and certainly no right to enter other people's properties. As this dog has a history of entering her home and killing her cat (and biting her, which incidentally the police are also entitled to deal with), the dog warden would have to contact the owner and make sure they have put measures in place to stop this happening again. You say the dog was 'returned', where was the dog taken to before being returned?

We had issues with a dog attacking mine, and our dog warden was lovely. He explained that now that there was a record against that dog, he would talk to the owner, informing them of the record and their responsibility, and of the fact that, if a second complaint ever came about the dog, the council would take her to court.

I don't know if your friend contacted the dog warden before, but if not it definitely would be worth doing, the threat of legal action if their dog misbehaves again might help make sure they control it.

Best of luck.