Sageandonion

Janome sewing machines?

Does anyone have one and are they any good? I am looking at this one;- http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/Janome601_info.htm

on the basis that it is within my price range and it comes with some freebies.TBH I wouldn't know what to look for. I would use it for general sewing and would like to learn quilting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

I love mine. It's a bigger model than that one but it is so easy to use and quiet too.

Is there anywhere nearby you could go and have a play with one? It's also useful to find out about where you could get it serviced. My local sewing shop is a dealer for them and I tried several machines before settling on the one I wanted.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do x

I have a John Lewis own brand, which is in fact a Janome (or so I was told by the lady at JL!). The advantage is that Janome parts are very easy to get, and I've bought several extra 'feet' for mine (some of which I have even used! :whistle: )

If it's just for general sewing, this should be fine - and if you really get into it and want to upgrade for something bigger, you can always sell it on.

I have a Janome from SMD - love it! The one you have chosen looks like great value for money, you are getting loads of nice features with it and a decent amount of stitches. You could pretty much do everything you wanted to with it - and the freebie quilting pack is great. Certainly for patchwork the 1/4" foot is essential! They are a good company as well - any problems with mine (due to me, rather than the machine :oops: ) and they talked me through them on the phone. If there had been a problem, they would send a courier to collect it and guarantee it's return within a couple of days.