Ain't Nobody Here

Teens inter-railing - advice?

YS (18) has said he and 5 friends are going to go inter-railing in the summer. Sounds like a great idea to me but not having done anything similar myself, I'm looking for some advice/tips from Omleteers who have either done it themselves or had kids who've done it.

They're talking about going down to London, then to France, Germany, Holland and Sweden.

Any advice/experiences gratefully accepted :D .

My daughter did it but she's not here now to ask about it. I do know there were no hitches and that she had a great holiday. They stayed in youth hostels. I can't remember everywhere they went but I'm sure it included Italy, Switzerland, Croatia and I'm sure she said Lichtenstein but I might be making that up. I'll try and find out, but I'm sure she would recommend it.

I did it in the dim and distant past - camping with my boyfriend. I was carrying one of those frame rucksacks which was as tall as me, and I'd never done anything remotely like it before. We were on a tight budget (hence the camping) and had a good time, even though as we slept on trains as well, once we were woken in the middle of the night and searched by gun-toting police as we passed into Yugoslavia as was; I've never been back to any of the Balkan countries :shock:

I remember doing lots of walking and being very tired. However, as you can't go far afield once off the train with the luggage/budget we got to know the places we stopped in (mostly cities) very well. If I was advising a youngster I'd say stay in youth hostels or similar, and travel very light. We cycle tour now and I am an expert in the art of light packing :lol: There is so much more information easily accessible nowadays that I'm sure they can plan their route to take in things which interest them much more easily, and so it should be an excellent trip. They could even do a blog - thats entertaining for all the family to follow! I have no idea if/how anxious my parents were, but of course there are mobiles now. I can honestly say we didn't have any trouble at all.

We went to Belgium, Lux, Germany, Switzerland, Yugo, Austria, Italy, France. The places which stand out for me are being in the mountains, Vienna (easily pleased with cake and hot choc and schnitzel), Paris, and probably best of all the train trip from somewhere in northern Italy along the corniche/French riviera. The track hugs the coast, and is beautiful.

Daughter suggested a good book like Europe by rail which gives info and regulations for rail travel. For example Italian rail required reservations but other countries didn't.

Check out timetables, have copies before leaving home so that travel plans actually work.

Planning is needed because things weren't how they sounded.

Because she is young a couple of hiccups didn't worry her at all and I didn't know so was happily oblivious to any problems.

There are 2 great books by a trio of boys who went inter railing in the 80's...its still very relevant now & they are very,very funny books.

They are called 'Don't lean out the Window' & 'Don't mention the War' & have just become available on Kindle too.

I am sure they will have a great time,but get him to read the books - full of useful advise as well as being funny.

My daughter went last summer before starting uni. The Post Office do an excellent thing which is a cash card that you preload with however much money you think you will need for the trip. It works the same as a bank cash card but it cannot be connected to your bank account so if it gets lost or stolen you only stand to lose what it on there. There is a number you take with you to cancel the card immediately if it does get lost and they will send you a replacement withing Europe pretty quickly. Any money left over can be withdrawn here. I thought it was a great idea, as did she.

Other than that, being girls they did pre book all their hostels so they knew where to dump their bags each time and only had one hiccough with flights meaning they had to sleep in an airport once night, bu that was part of the adventure. They had a ball. Hope he does too!