LovelyJubley

If you could choose all over again....

I'm toying with the idea of a WIR of late. I'd never considered them until I saw a photo of a classic within a run - with the Classic up onto a table. It actually looked like a realistic option for my tiddly yard, as opposed to believing a WIR must be reserved for the fortunate Them With Large Gardens.

Definitely consider a walk in run - it's so nice being able to get up close to your chickens without groveling around on the floor or half bent over. You can catch them easily for checkups or cuddles or just sit in there with them, and it's much nicer to stand up instead of kneeling/bending to clean out. You can also add perches or tables to utilise the height-space.

As for the house, it depends how many birds you intend to have initially. If you have a wir and a classic/go & 3-4 birds to start with, you'll have room for another classic/go later when you want to add more (also spreads the cost). If you can put them on a table to increase available floor space so much the better.

We started with a cube, run & extension, and added a mezzanine floor, and then another extension. This was ok but you had to bend to get in (we had a large door, earlier cube runs had small doors), and you couldn't reach under the cube without kneeling down (on the poop - and those crazy ex batts laid their eggs everywhere to start with!). Then we put this combo on slabs with various wood/plant chips.

Later I decided we needed a classic to use for sick house/intros, and found on Gumtree a classic (in a colour I wanted), wooden wir (could be useful) and 3 chickens (bonus!) for a great price. We put this up on the slabs instead and attached the eglu and cube on opposite ends - we've just extended it with more panels. James made pallet-wood tables and hung branches to increase surface area.

I'm toying with the idea of a WIR of late. . . It actually looked like a realistic option for my tiddly yard, as opposed to believing a WIR must be reserved for the fortunate Them With Large Gardens.

I think that a WIR is all the more important if you have a small garden as it means those little digging feet can be contained and you have some garden left. If you have a large garden then I would have thought you could just move electric netting around and a WIR would not be so super :think:

I'm toying with the idea of a WIR of late. I'd never considered them until I saw a photo of a classic within a run - with the Classic up onto a table. It actually looked like a realistic option for my tiddly yard, as opposed to believing a WIR must be reserved for the fortunate Them With Large Gardens.

You may be describing mine :D ?

I'd definitely have gone straight for the WIR but would still have chosen the Classic because I know I can't ever have more than about 5/6 hens - my garden is just too small.

My current setup is just perfect for me 8) .