migsy

Why would a farmer buy non laying chickens?

Just that really. I can't see any reason why a farmer would do this but a friend of mine reckons she took her chickens to a farmer who gave her 50p for each of them. Perhaps she didn't like to tell me that they had been despatched.

My mum says that they would be made into animal feed (she is from a farm).

Sorry but I can't see why a free range chicken farm would be any more receptive to non-layers than any other sort. Farmers still need to make money, and most farmers don't hesitate to dispatch spent or sick hens.

It doesn't add up to me, and a profit of 50p per hen (if he was selling them to a charity) would hardly be worth it.

I wonder if your first guess was right, and that your friend didn't want to say that they'd been dispatched.

I think Olly is right. I don't mind what she did really. It would have been hypocritical of me to criticise her as anyone who eats eggs or chicken clearly contributes to culling in some form or other. However, I suppose I am just a little disappointed that her chooks have met their end.

Doesn't seem to add up to me at all. I would have thought that if the farmer was despatching them for your friend he would have charged her the 50p each not paid her that :think: Were they silkies? He might quite genuinely have wanted pets for his family. The farmer down the road here has chickens for eats and a different set of fancy ones for pets that he bought his wife.

:lol: well that explains it! Rather him than me ... I'd have thought they would be a bit stringy.

I've heard that if you pressure cook them, they can get tender. Not that I plan to try it! I only have two girls and they have names so I don't think I could sentence them to death for failing to lay, but I know that has been the fate of chickens for hundreds of years!

Last year seemed to be my year of hatching a large ratio of cockerels. :roll: I'm a softie, so I've still got a lot of them - I removed the girl from their ark & they get along tikkety boo.

However, my bad luck seems to be continuing into 2013. As this morning I was letting all the chooks out, when my beautiful showgirl girl ( or so I really thought) crowed. Arrrrrgh. I was truly shocked, as I really believed it to be a girl.

Ahh well.

I dont really get why a farmer would buy none layers for his casseroles? Surely if thats what he wanted, he'd have some chooks of his own & put them in the pot once their laying days were over. Wierd!

Emma.x