majorbloodnock Posted February 11, 2013 Share Posted February 11, 2013 Agreed.I change my vote to sledgehammer..!! There are certainly therapeutic benefits.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 11, 2013 Share Posted February 11, 2013 I agree I always find that breaking up pallets and chopping firewood lifts my spirits. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted February 11, 2013 Share Posted February 11, 2013 Does putting it in the freezer really work? When I finally leave my company I'll have to return my laptop in tact. I'm worried about this as last time we had a compulsory computer upgrade, someone from the company's recycling unit came and took my laptop all done up as per procedure and shortly after that my Paypal account suddenly ran up loads of purchases from Mexico completely wiping my current account It has made me somewhat paranoid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
charly1979 Posted February 11, 2013 Share Posted February 11, 2013 The freezer thing has mixed opinion it was one of the things we discussed at Uni, I need to see if I have my notes etc because we watched a video on it ad I recall then showing a disc being ''shattered' and then data still being recovered from it ??? All extreme but better safe than sorry mind you we all give so much away online, even something simple as wishing cngratulations to a new baby can give future fraudsters vital information as everything online is retervable years down the line. There was a seminar or something whilst it was all happening they picked a random person from the audcience, at the end they were able to tell everyone this person had worked in a strip bar to fund uni (think it was in states) they even had photos to show as well, of course they had even more sensitve data that they didnt share ..... makes you think really (Assuming that all of this was true but as I was doing a BscHons in computing at City of Bath Uni, just graduated I would like to think the material is correct) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 11, 2013 Share Posted February 11, 2013 I was relaying this to my techie friend at circuits this evening; he recently bought a job lot of external hard drives on ebay and found that one of them contained 30gb of music and personal photos. He contacted the person, who thought he'd wiped the drive... obviously not thoroughly enough. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stu Posted February 12, 2013 Share Posted February 12, 2013 Or probably not wiped at all..? On the work PC/Laptop issue. There is an assumption that because the employer owns the 'workspace' that they have the right to know how it is being used, and as a result, there are also tacit assumptions that the privacy of the employee is not maintained to the same level as other circumstances. The best solution is use a work PC for work only. Of course... any accidental damage to a work machine prior to return is well... accidental, isn't it? I know someone who accidentally reversed over their laptop, and all that could be said was it was perfect timing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 12, 2013 Share Posted February 12, 2013 Interesting article in the press today about cookies and internet privacy (or lack of it), nothing we didn't already know but it's worth noting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...