bulasty

Advice for Beginners

Hi!

We've just bought Beehaus and are very excited indeed.

But I have a few questions for all the experience bee keepers.

Do I need to join beekeeping associations BBKA, London BKA... is it a must or just optional?

When should I buy my bees? Spring or summer or it does not matter?

Is it worth going to beekeeping course or a introduction from beekeeper on my allotment will be enough?

Any other tips and advice can You give us?

Thank you

Paul

I would definitely recommend joining your local association, and doing a Beginners Course if they do one - if not, then at least go along to their meetings and see if you can find a mentor. It's best to have some guidance when you start out, because it's easy to get things wrong and lose your bees - or have them swarm - if the person on your allotment can help you on a regular basis with inspections, then that would be good. It really isn't something you can pick up in a couple of hours - get a good book (Ted Hooper 'Bees and Honey' or the new Haynes Manual are both good) but I would urge you to go along to local meetings and get as much information as you can.

Good luck with them, let us know how you get on. If you're going to buy a nucleus, then late spring is the time they are likely to be ready (April/May).

Hi there,

Start reading up now, I found beekeeping was not something to rush into as there is alot to learn. joining a local association will give you contacts to where you can obtain bees but also some local association let you use their extraction equipment. Beginner course I would recommend because you can learn the basics along with people at the same level as you.

Hope this helps

Steve

I'd third joining your local BKA - beekeeping isn't for everybody and if you go on a beginner's course you will see what is involved, including handling, and whether you really want to do it :D Your local beekeepers will have plenty of experience and in the early days this is a lifesaver :lol: In addition, you can get hive insurance via the BBKA. As Olly says, it really is essential to learn about bee behaviour and swarming. As you probably know bees are at real risk from varroa, colony collapse disorder, pesticides etc etc and although we can't prevent all losses, as beekeepers we can learn how to manage colonies to help the bees as much as possible. This includes treatment against pests, good husbandry throughout the season (eg feeding), and how to recognise the signs of swarming and try to prevent it, or how to safely capture and re-hive one.

Beekeeping is a lovely hobby 8)

Thanks for all the advice!

I got the "Bees and Honey" and I am absorbing all the knowledge :). There is lots mor to bees then I thought but it is all quite fascinating.

Next, finding beekeeping course in London and hopefully I'll manage to start keeping bees this season :)

Thank you

PJ

Agree about joining a local BKA

I spend some time on the beekeepingforum.co.uk where you will find much good (and bad) advice.

There is a separate section for the Beehaus. It was somewhat fraught last year but I think most dissenters have got it out of their system (plastic bee container from a chicken company and all that) and there is some useful stuff there.

I have learned much much more there than I ever did from my local BKA.

Bit like about chickens on here :)

Where about in London are you? Wimbledon beekeepers' Association do weekend taster course in June & July. I did that few years ago and now the proud keeper of two hives in my allotment.

HI!

I live in Brentford so I think I will join Ealing and District association.

Hope to find some courses sooner then june as I want to start beekeeping sooner rather then later :P

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

My nuke arrived yesterday and I transferred bees to hive this morning (thank goodness for hot weather today). The bees are beautifully behaved and are coming and going in droves with legs packed full of bright yellow pollen. I wanted to say that I have read the Omlet guide to beekeeping from front to back and that has been very good, but I also did a quick course a month ago and joined the Central Sussex Beekeepers. I was under the impression that you have to join the club that covers the area you are in so that the specific advice that comes from the bee inspector and DEFRA about disease threats etc can be communicated to the beekeepers in the right area. Sussex is unfortunately a hotspot for all the notifiable diseases so you need to keep yourself informed.

And even though I am the only member in the club with a new "plastic hive" I have had good tips from fellow beekeepers about where to source materials like huge bags of woodchips for the smoker at only £3 a bag etc that are not on the Omlet website.

I hope you will find beekeeping as fascinating as I am finding it.

Angelmum21

Congratulations on getting bees! There's no rule about joining an association at all, but it makes sense to join one for support and advice, and if you join your local one they will know about particular local conditions and may have equipment (eg an extractor) that you can borrow. Some people join another nearby division just because it meets on a more convenient night or has more meetings - Divisions vary greatly in what they offer their members. Registering on Beebase is the best way to keep up to date with notifiable diseases.

Glad you are enjoying finding out about bees - they are fascinating.

I'm in my fourth year now and have found it in turns wonderfully enjoyable,rewarding,disappointing and sometimes hard work.

It has improved my woodworking skills no end, turned me in to a weather junkie, an officionado of bee friendly horticulture and a student of lots of other fascinating pollinators.

Alas.....no holidays in the season.....

I wouldn't change my decision to keep the bees for anything.

This year my bees are drawing out foundation-less frames so we can have comb honey....can't wait!!

Enjoy and brush up your optimism.

Joining an association also gives you public liability insurance via the BBKA or the WBKA

There are lots of good sources on-line to learn more about bees - my website shows my recommendations in terms of books, podcasts, blogs and sites, so I wont repeat here. But nothing is better than talking to other beekeepers on forums like this, or even better face to face where you can see how they do things - most associations organise apiary visits and these I have found invaluable over the years.

Very best of luck. :D