Although I still follow this forum I never seem to have time to post but finally I must

I have had the ok to replace my OH diy attempt at a run, which although my ladies love it I don't :wink:

So we have 4 ladies and given my budget I was thinking 12ft by 6ft do you think that would be ok? They are in approx. 18ft by 4ftish but only 3ft by 4ft is WIR and they seem to have so much space. If it's all WI I'd have branches all over and other things to make it interesting.

I was thinking about these (also on Ebay) as averies4you won't deliver to Bristol anymore

http://www.thecotswoldwoodcompany.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=84_146

http://www.thecotswoldwoodcompany.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=84_147

Really after your advice

My run is approx 8ft x 6.5ft and I have 6 in it at the moment (I do have a raised eglu and a lot of planks/branches/perches which increase the surface area though) so I'd think 4 in one the size you're suggesting would be fine. No experience of Cotswold but it looks like a nice WIR!

My run is approx 8ft x 6.5ft and I have 6 in it at the moment (I do have a raised eglu and a lot of planks/branches/perches which increase the surface area though) so I'd think 4 in one the size you're suggesting would be fine. No experience of Cotswold but it looks like a nice WIR!

Thanks for the info

My ladies always seem to be on the branches, tree stump etc and hardly ever on the floor at the same time. So I may go for the 9 by 6 instead and could then afford a few extras and it can be placed nearer the house. I'd be able to easily see them from the kitchen window at the moment I can't.

Can I ask how your run is fixed to the floor or is it heavy and solid?

As it's only got 3 sides, it's attached to the garage but it's also screwed to the slabs along the door side (there was a bit of give in it so it just made it more solid).

Mine's very close to my kitchen window - I find that really good for keeping an eye on them (and it's entertaining too!)

My run is 2m x 3m so similar size to the one you are contemplating, and I have had six in there - four at the moment, but I'm actively planning two more. As ANH says, if you have perches, branches etc you are increasing the available surface area.

My run just sits on slabs. It would take a gang of foxes with crowbars to lift it, I would struggle to move it myself!

My run is 2m x 3m so similar size to the one you are contemplating, and I have had six in there - four at the moment, but I'm actively planning two more. As ANH says, if you have perches, branches etc you are increasing the available surface area.

My run just sits on slabs. It would take a gang of foxes with crowbars to lift it, I would struggle to move it myself!

Thanks,

I've measured up and the run could go in two different locations but would prefer to see them nearer the house

My WIR is 15ft x 6ft x 6ft. It currently has 9 hens (3 large fowl, 5 bantams). Inside the WIR I provide perches, stumps of wood and an old garden bench (which they all love).

Img_1852.jpg

I've always felt that appropriate Sleeping / Nesting accommodation is just as important as total roaming space, so provide two Classic Eglu's for the girls and boys to share. Ironically, they ALL sleep in the upper Eglu each night and the lower one is used exclusivity for laying :doh:.

IMG_2555a.jpg

The WIR was built in 2009, but it's still going strong today. At the time I recorded each step of the build and put the photo's online as a guide for others. You can view them here. I then added specific details of the run construction and accessories here. Finally, I put all the pictures of the whole build process together as a slideshow, which you can view by clicking here.

I hope that all helps!

Andrew

Hi ANH - its still looking great :angel: . I will take some up-to-date pictures for you at the weekend if time allows. My flock has had a few changes since the run went up, I lost Di a while back (prolaps) and Minstrel pasted just last week (peacefully in the nest box). All the others are still fine, although they are getting quite old and eggs are less common than they were :( .

I'd be more interested to see what your run looks like now, Andrew :lol: . (To see if it's as "lived-in" as mine :roll: .)

As promised, here are three pictures of my run as it looks today, Saturday 23rd March 2013.

IMG_4154s_zpsb740cd5b.jpg

IMG_4157s_zps9e716ab0.jpg

IMG_4160s_zpse4bf8678.jpg

As you can see, both WIR and the Chickens all looking very good :D.

Cheers

Andrew

There is a lack of snow in the picture :D

Yes, in my part of Oxfordshire, while it snowed for most of the morning, it didn't settle. It certainly was a tad cold though!

Andrew

My WIR is 15ft x 6ft x 6ft. It currently has 9 hens (3 large fowl, 5 bantams). Inside the WIR I provide perches, stumps of wood and an old garden bench (which they all love).

Img_1852.jpg

I've always felt that appropriate Sleeping / Nesting accommodation is just as important as total roaming space, so provide two Classic Eglu's for the girls and boys to share. Ironically, they ALL sleep in the upper Eglu each night and the lower one is used exclusivity for laying :doh:.

IMG_2555a.jpg

The WIR was built in 2009, but it's still going strong today. At the time I recorded each step of the build and put the photo's online as a guide for others. You can view them here. I then added specific details of the run construction and accessories here. Finally, I put all the pictures of the whole build process together as a slideshow, which you can view by clicking here.

I hope that all helps!

Andrew

Thanks so much for posting the pictures, very strange as not 5 minutes ago I found your slide show showing how you built it and then I came on the forum.

I've left loads of emails with various companies asking about their aviary panels but very frustrating that people don't reply. Fingers crossed I get a response in next few days. Lewis can't help as I'm too far away.