counturchickens

How long to get them tamer?

So, now have 2 black East Indian ducks! The original plan was for them to live in the wir with the chickens and be allowed to fr when the hens do. The hens haven't tried to attack them, but weren't at all happy and wouldn't go in the wir whilst the ducks were there. In addition, as soon as they arrived I lost one of the ducks through a small hole, so I need to go around and check there aren't any more before they are allowed out. Currently they're in a small temporary house and run that I use for intros. They were last years hatch and have been running around the poultry suppliers and aren't at all tame. I am giving them meal worms when I visit them, which they love, but are still hiding in their house when I go too near. Does anyone have any experience of how long it will take them to become a bit tamer?

meal worms are a great idea,Im going to try some... Ive had my runners for a week tomorrow they are nine months and have been raised basicaly just in a field with goats so have not had much human contact, Fiona is really tame and will quite happly let me stroke her but shrek is a little more weary , the first couple of hours I was really worried as they looked terrified, then yesterday I could quite easly pick them up and no probs, today they are a little weary again... although shrek is really standing upto my dog and will try to peck her if she gets close.

I think it just gaining trust, so mealworms sound like a great idea to try. Good luck

Kind regards

Omadawn x

It could be a while i have heard black east indian are very flighty breed my tamest ducks are my indian runners my khakis i have had since ducklings are now 5 will walk around my feet and come when its corn time but will not eat out of my hand or let me pick them up so i think its safe to say after 5 years its not happen :lol: leanne :)

Thanks Leanne. We've moved them into the wir now, sectioned off. They seem much happier and aren't hiding every time we go near. I think we'll leave it a couple of weeks before we try any free ranging. I gave them a little bit of bread, which they loved, is it ok to give them a small amounts? I read in my duck book that they might already have had it an it to try that to calm them down, but happy to see what others think.

We hand feed our Muscovy Ducks spinach leaves which they love and it helps with taming :D They have dried mealworms sometimes too, which they go mad for :wink:

We occasionally give them a little mixed corn and Drakes really appreciate being given wheat in their diet. When we had Mini Silver Appleyards, we would put whole wheat in the drinking water for the Drake :)