AJuff Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 I noticed that the grass where I first kept the hens on is over three times as lush as the rest of my lawn. Has anyone tried making droppings into lawn fertiliser? I wondered whether to make a liquid fertiliser by dissolving droppings into water or whether to dry the droppings and crumble them over the lawn. Any advice? I want a lush lawn!!!! The guinea pigs are in grass heaven! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 I was wondering the exact same thing. I was considering collecting it all up, mixing it with water in a bucket and then watering the grass with it. I have read that fresh poo is too strong to put onto flower beds as it burns the plants but it seems to be really good for the grass. Good question AJuff-can't wait for the answers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 So you want to spend your spare time liquidising chicken poo??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 So you want to spend your spare time liquidising chicken poo??? Yes! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AJuff Posted July 20, 2007 Author Share Posted July 20, 2007 Yes, I'm very serious about fertiliser as I'd like lush grass!!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 Chicken manure is 'hot' (compared to, say cow or horse manure) and it can be too much for young plants, although I believe it's ok to spread around trees etc. Not sure about grass! See here for some advice on making 'tea'! (is this what Sheila is referring to in her signature? ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 wondered whether to make a liquid fertiliser by dissolving droppings into water or whether to dry the droppings and crumble them over the lawn. Any advice? Sounds like you need a food dehydrator - works brilliantly drying all sorts of things to crumble Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 The chap that tidies my garden swears by chicken poo soup for lawns and general feeding of plants and veg. Just let it dissolve for a few weeks in a bucket of water( I don't think proportions matter too much), and water the garden with it. When I was able to move my Eglu's regularly, the grass was beautiful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted July 20, 2007 Share Posted July 20, 2007 I collect the poos and put them all into a large watering can, fill with water and use regularly to feed plants etc. Seems to work very well! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gallina Posted July 21, 2007 Share Posted July 21, 2007 When I empty the poo trays, I tip the poo and newspaper into a bucket of water overnight. (I use the minimum amount of newspaper possible: it's better that way.) Then I pour the lot on to the compost heap the next morning. As a compost activator, you can't beat hen poo. I was able to start using the compost heaps I started in the spring by May. The ones started in May are almost ready. But the grass is lucky: whatever lands on it when the hens are out stays there, and the part of the grass the hens go on is so much better than the part that is fenced off. Hens can be an asset to a garden as long as you are a bit strict with them. I am convinced that mine actually improve my chances in the Oxford in Bloom judging (wish me luck next Thursday!), as the judges like them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted July 21, 2007 Share Posted July 21, 2007 Oooo, good luck for next Thursday Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted July 21, 2007 Share Posted July 21, 2007 Good luck for Thursday - I hope everything didn't get flattened by the rain! Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AJuff Posted July 21, 2007 Author Share Posted July 21, 2007 Well I made chicken poo soup in the watering can this afternoon. I used poo from the hen area, as the poo was rather wet with the rain it quickly dissolved into the water. I have applied it to a part of the lawn and will wait to see the results. Will let you know in a few weeks . . . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 21, 2007 Share Posted July 21, 2007 Good luck Gallina.....your garden is beautiful! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...