C&T Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 Hi all, I'll be arranging a Vets visit for tomorrow pm if no improvement, but wanted to see if I was missing anything. My chook is not looking well. Been seen feeding and drinking, but wings slightly dropped and feathers are raised on head and neck. Bottom was filthy. Moving around, but not much. She is NOT a people chicken, so anything involving humans is stressful to her, and trying to keep that in mind.... Last wormed 2 months ago (flubenvet). Have brought her indoors, in the warm, and OH tried to give her a bath this morning, and clean her bum up. Limited success apparently (see above re human contact) - I'll see later when I get home how successful he was! Not eating a lot inside - but peas/grapes etc are being taken. I was wondering if it is "just" a softee that is working it's way through - but have a lost a chook in the past to this so know it can be serious, but at least it's not something contagious. Is there anything else I can look out for now that I can do something about before I can get her to the vets? (NB, yes I would try and take her today, but am 38 weeks pregnant, with a 2yr toddler, and no car.) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 hello! Sounds like our chucks are having similar problems. Worrying, isn't it. I'm off to the vet with mine later this afternoon, will report back - at present I fear she is just "fading away" which obviously I don't want to continue, so hoping the vet can help. Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted March 26, 2013 Author Share Posted March 26, 2013 It's horrid. Really hoping not to lose this one (not that I would want to lose any!). Not human friendly, but a lovely chook all the same. I have 1 4yr old chook who is as bright as a button, but she is on her 3rd "partner" at the moment - beginning to wonder if she is sabotaging her room mates, and actually wants to be by herself! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superkitty Posted March 26, 2013 Share Posted March 26, 2013 Maybe lice or mites, is that a possibility? Just thinking of dirty bum which is how my girls started when they had northern fowl mite Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted March 26, 2013 Author Share Posted March 26, 2013 Mites. Thats an idea. Had a quick look before - but not that easy... I'll take a closer look. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted March 27, 2013 Author Share Posted March 27, 2013 Well, got up this morning, and she was much brighter, and hoovering up small bits of pasta and grapes. Wondered about putting her outside for the day, but we decided to leave her in. Came home early from work to take to the vets, and she was really perky! Ate a load more treats! Thought would take her to the vets anyway, as had appointment, and give her the once over. But once there, she looked really unwell again. Head down, puffed up, almost falling over. Unfortunately, it was Peritonitus. We were given the option of trying to get her right and treat her - but vet was not convinced it would work, and seemed cruel to prolong things. So, she was PTS. Leaving one lone 4yr old in her run... So while I will miss Ruby enormously, I know we made the right decision, and we are planning to look forwards, and get a couple of new chooks tomorrow... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted March 27, 2013 Share Posted March 27, 2013 Sorry to hear that, I am sure you did the right thing but it is a hard decision to make. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...