Mr Rhode Island Red Posted April 3, 2013 Share Posted April 3, 2013 I have noticed that my hens seem to call long drawn out clucks instead of a normal short ones. Instead of: "buk-buk-buk" I am listening to: "BWAAAAAAAAK" I know that this is a sign of stress/discontentment but I can't seem to figure out why. They have food, water, shelter, a place to lay eggs, they aren't sick, and they have a large spot to free-range in. Any ideas? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted April 3, 2013 Share Posted April 3, 2013 fox? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redcharlie43 Posted April 3, 2013 Share Posted April 3, 2013 One of mine does this. She sounds like she is in distress every morning. Sometimes its because she wants to be in the nest box and one of the others is already there. Other times she just stands in the run making an awful racket for no reason. She also does a really good seal bark impression which she does for about an hour every morning. When she first started doing it I thought Fox attack and rushed out but she is just a noisy madam. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted April 3, 2013 Share Posted April 3, 2013 Are they looking for somewhere else to lay? Looking for lost eggs? When did it start? One of mine does this when she is coming back into lay (as well as for lots of other reasons). She stops when I pick her up and cuddle her. I always whether her hormones are making her want contact with a cockerel or chicks. I seem to do as a substitute! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted April 3, 2013 Author Share Posted April 3, 2013 When did it start? It has been going on for a few weeks now. Are they looking for somewhere else to lay? Looking for lost eggs? They have 4 nestboxes available to them, but they only use 1. Often see 2 in the same nestbox. They seem to quieten down when I'm around. We have a few crows and hares rambling about the place as well, if that is a possible source of stress Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted April 5, 2013 Share Posted April 5, 2013 Mine seemed to be very noisy yesterday and I have no idea why? They didn't like the wind but just couldn't settle at all! Making a racket for most of the day! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted April 5, 2013 Share Posted April 5, 2013 Sounds like they want you out with them Mine do it and quieten when I go outside and let them free range. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...