Alis girls

Kitten advice

I know some of you have introduced a kitten into a home with existing cats. My son wants a kitten for his birthday, we have 2 cats of 11 boy and girl neutered and have chance of a boy kitten. Our ginger tom is a needy fella very loving and jealous - I dont want to upset him. Any tips please. OH is around a lot during the day. Obviously we will get him neutered, chipped and immunised. Thanks in advance

Having read my post back I will be getting the kitten neutered, chipped and immunised and not my OH - although on second thoughts :think: ....................might not be a bad idea. :wink: And theres me on the Nesting box tutting at others use of our lovely language. :notalk:

Cats Protection produce a couple of leaflets which have useful information in:

http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg01-gettingacat

http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg02-welcomehome

The general advice is to set aside a room for the new arrival which will be completely his and leave the rest of the house for your existing cats. They will feel that their territory has been invaded by a newcomer. If the kitten has access to the whole house right away, then your existing cats will feel that there is nowhere that is 'theirs' any more. It might also be a good idea to borrow a kitten pen / small dog cage for the first few days to contain the newcomer even more - it helps with him getting to know where everything is and not feeling too intimidated :)

You can then start swapping scents - swap food bowls and bedding between the kitten and existing cats, stroke the kitten and then go and stroke the existing cats. This all helps them to recognise that the scent of the new arrival is 'safe'. After a few days you could open the door to the kitten room and allow the existing cats to see him in his pen. Again, this helps them to feel safe and secure as they are in control - they can go close and sniff him and they can walk away without him running after them. After a few more days you could move onto supervised introductions but always allow the existing cats an 'escape route' if they want/need it. Don't, for example be tempted to shut them all in one room together and hope that they will get on as, almost always, they won't :)

If you remember that in the wild (and if given free choice) cats are solitary creatures and don't need company, then you won't go far wrong. Many cats will get on with other cats and enjoy their company in time but in some circumstances, the best you can hope for it mutual toleration.

Hope that helps and hasn't put you off?

Thanks guys - have been doing all that - and we are down to the hissing stage now. A week on a Basil our new kit on the block has won round fat tabby a female but our 11 yr old ginger tom continues to hiss. Howver Basil is made of strong stuff - his birth home was chaotic with dogs and cats everywhere and ours seems peaceful in comparison so a bit of hissing he can cope with.

Only just seen this. Boys are more needy and cope with change far worse than girls :P

When we adopted Sophie, Sabrina instantly accepted her. Harry got very jealous and his nose was put firmly out of joint, but he was mostly tolerant with no violent tendencies only hissing.

However, only a short while afterwards he was grooming her and was back to his usual self.

Now after 3 months they are one happy family and constantly cuddle up together and sleep together and groom each other. They all play well together too. The only time we have issues is when Sophie hides at the side of the door by the cat flap to pounce on the big cats as they come in. Sabrina deals with it, Harry gets very cross and goes back to hissing! :lol:

So give it time and harmony should be restored :D

Ah yes - never get between them! Have you tried Feliway or Pet Rescue? I have used both, and I found the Pet Rescue really helped although my cats didn't start sniffing the dispenser like they do in the ad!

Labour candidate called round today and I was holding a wiggly Basil from whom I had retrieved a sock :whistle: I suspect he was a retriver in his former life. The guy middleaged and rather attractive was admiring Basil who didnt want to talk politics and our older ginger cat walked past. "oh I can see the family resemblance " he said - had to explain out big lad was not all there.