Beth7

Rabbit breeds - please help!

I have been researching rabbits for a long time and was wondering what would be the best breed for a beginner? I would quite like a rabbit that can live alone. I like the look of the mini rex , would that be suitable?

Many thanks

Mini rex can sometimes be a little 'scatty' compared to their larger counterparts. Their fur is amazing but because of the nature of it, often they can develop huge sores on their hocks unless they sit on 6 inches of sawdust. A lot of breeders don't breed for the longevity of their feet, as they are only interested in the short term (i.e not likely to keep an old rabbit with feet problems :( ).

Other breeds to look at would be the Dutch or English if you like they up-eared breeds, they are often seen as child friendly and good for beginners.

If you are a fan of the lops, Dwarf or their larger counterpart the German Lop are often very placid. (As a rule, the larger the rabbit breed the more laid back).

Behaviour is another thing to consider, male and females can differ quite considerably in their traits (Females can go grumpy and territorial at about 5 months when their hormones kick in. Males often become more loving - for one reason only! - but this can be accompanied with an unpleasant smell) of course this can all be avoided with neutering.

All my rabbits live alone, and despite people saying they are a sociable creature, none of mine (even neutered) are willing to accept a friend! So I would say any type of rabbit is fine alone, providing it gets a lot of attention and space to run and dig.

Good luck!

Have a look on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ for a rescue local to you. They should be able to give you some advice for your requirements and what you can offer. They will have single rabbits and rabbits that are already bonded.

My buck was alone for quite a long time but he's been so much happier with his wifey bun :P a second doesnt cost much more than one to care for except for when it's time for their injections :evil: