dislaney

Mouth to mouth: unexpectedly dangerous egg collection!

Hi all - I've got an eccentric Black Star called Pippa who has the habit of jumping up at my mouth when I least expect it. This morning when bending down to pick up a rogue egg, she launched herself upwards and pecked through my lip which is now fat and bleeding. :(

I'm assuming this isn't malicious as she's a lovely friendly hen who is easy to handle and good in every other way. I wondered if she was attracted to my shiny teeth, as she loves to peck anything bright and sparkly - in which case, I just need to keep my mouth shut when bending down! Or is there something else going on??

Curious, and sore, of Nottinghamshire! :D

Ouch! :shock: Yes it could be your lovely shiny teeth (in which case I suggest you also watch she doesn't go for your eyes)! Or your red lips. Hens are often attracted to red things such as blood and painted toenails (as many of us have found out when we've gone into the hen run in flip flops!) :lol:

It's highly unlikely to be malicious.

Ouch! :shock: Yes it could be your lovely shiny teeth (in which case I suggest you also watch she doesn't go for your eyes)! Or your red lips. Hens are often attracted to red things such as blood and painted toenails (as many of us have found out when we've gone into the hen run in flip flops!) :lol:

It's highly unlikely to be malicious.

^^ wot she said

I am always telling the neighbour's wee kiddies to hold the chickens down and away from their faces.

When was your last tetanus?