Mrs Webmuppet

What has Little Miss Webmuppet got me into? Updated

At the Suffolk Show Little Miss Webmuppet (who isn't that little anymore -she's 13 soon) got talking to the local bee keeping association, I only popped into the tent to admire the honey and to buy some honey! One of the local bee keepers has invited us along to meet his bees. Oh help..... LMW has a fascination with insects and is really excited about the invitation and has ordered up books from the library and has watched the Beehaus videos.

So O wise Omlet beekeepers is there anything I need to know before we meet the bees (apart from the need to suppress the urge to head in the opposite direction at the sight of that many bees). We will be lent suits for the experience.

Edited to add: I spoke to the bee man today and we are off to meet the bees on July 2nd. We have some reading to do in preparation, books are on order from the library. We have strict instructions on what to wear and not to use any toiletries on the day as the bees don't like the smell! LMW is very excited :roll: the bee man sounded really fun on the phone, he is apparently the local trainer.

Bees are fabulously fascinating, I would bet you will get hooked, too. I was going to say don't wear any hairspray, perfume etc - no hard and fast rules, but bees sometimes get a bit excited if there's a strong scent. Make sure you listen to instructions about putting the suit on, etc - finding a bee inside your veil is not a good way to get close up and personal with them!

Just relax and enjoy the experience, ask lots of questions, and keep calm - if a bee does land on you it is most unlikely to sting you, but if you make a sudden movement or flap your hand, you may scare it into stinging.

Report back and tell us how you get on - I so wish that I'd taken up beekeeping sooner.

I have ordered the Haynes book for LMW as that's one of the ones the man recommended for her to read up on (cheapest on Amazon)I checked the library for the Haynes book........the lady said I'd be lucky to get it this side of October as there was a queue for it. The librarian was completely baffled that there was queues for books on bees!

I will give you all an update in due course.

The bee man has also put LMW done for the bee safari (a whole day of visiting various hives, learning about Queen rearing and the local bee inspector will be there to give a talk too).

We went to the middle of the Suffolk countryside this afternoon and met loads of bees. We didn't get stung. LMW got stuck in and inspected several hives (under the strict supervision of the bee keeper, he was a bit surprised as LMW seemed to have memorised the entire Haynes manual). She helped remove a super loaded with honey - she had help as it was so heavy. She also got to see some nucleus set ups and was shown how a feeder worked. He also showed her a solar wax melter and how to store honey until you are ready to extract it. He even had a bait hive set up and explained how that worked. The bees were apparently feistier than normal, one hive was really loud.

LMW is now one tired young lady, lifting those frames was hard work she said. I just stood around quietly and helped play spot the queen.......I did have a drone crawl over my gloved hand, not bad for some one who was somewhat nervous around so many bees.

She is hoping that there are some younger people at the Bee Safari on Saturday as the bee keeper we saw today was rather elderly and I think he was a little uncomfortable around a teenager.

She said she would like to be an apprentice to a bee keeper during the holidays (it's a bit tricky as she goes to boarding school and I don't feel as I could cope with a bee hive as well as everything else) and maybe in the future share a hive. We will see, she might change her mind the first time she gets stung.

Congratulations, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately the average age of beekeepers is, er, old as a lot of people don't take it up till they retire! Most groups have some younger members though. If she's at boarding school then the reality is that you'd end up doing a lot of the work on the hive so it's probably just as well not to pursue that one. Maybe if she meets a local beekeeper though they'd let her help out over the summer? Do you think she could persuade the school to get a hive? It sounds as if you had a good day. And I can't lift a full super either, I have to remove frames a few at a time!

The librarian at her school is a bee keeper. We were looking at the list of people attending the safari on Saturday and LMW recognised one of the names as being the school librarian.

I'm hoping that someone will take her on as their little helper in the holidays (she does have a 10week holiday in the summer). I'm loathed to buy anything beyond a bee suit as it may well be another one of her whims :roll: At least a bee suit could be sold on.

We went on the Bee Safari today( bit like a tour of the Shotley Peninsula) there were younger people on the Safari, well my age group anyway, they were very welcoming. I think we will be dreaming of bees tonight. We have seen 'normal' hives , queen less hives, nucleus hives, a queen who only lays drones (that queens days are numbered....I think she is for the chop) we seven saw a queen rearing set up. There were two bee inspectors too explaining stuff. I was even brave enough to handle a frame.

We have had several invites to visit bee keepers over the summer. The semi commercial set up we visited had bees that were so gentle the bee keeper didn't bother with a suit just a veil (no gloves or smoke).

Lunch was at a pub!

I have a bee hive. Absolutely fascinating things they are. My son is our chief apiarist. He is 18 now, but been doing it for the past 5 years. He has read all the books and all the web sites that he can about them, is a real authority. However, with the bad weather over the past couple of years it's been really hard to keep them going, feeding them constantly, and not getting much honey, as we just want to keep them alive.

!bee!!bee!

GNR x2

PP x1

PP magpie x1

(Bluebelle) silkie x1

(brown rabbit)

2 black labs

1 yellow lab (guide dog trainee)

1 corn snake

Fish

The bee inspectors said that the awful winter and late spring had played havoc with hives and it had been a battle to keep hives going, apparently Tate and Lyle must have made a fortune from all the white sugar sold to bee keepers. Chalk brood has been a real problem too caused by the weather.

Don't believe everything they say LMW

Life in the bee world is more optimistic. Nationwide few people had to feed bees if they were well prepared last autumn. I don't know of any one. We haven't even had a June Gap where forage is poor and people may have to feed.

Urban bees do very very well,thank you owing to the inexhaustible supply of flowers and council planted trees....especially Limes

Chalkbrood is caused by chilling the brood so is largely beekeeper caused....

It's a wonderful hobby I hope you take it up :)

Would never try to put anybody off this wonderful hobby. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Just our rotten luck I think. Was very well prepared in the autumn. However had just lost a queen and had to replace her. Don't think the one we got was great quality. The bees are very clever though, they have made their own new one. !bee!!bee!:?

I don't think we will be having bees in the immediate future, but maybe we will get involved with the local bee keepers, that way we can learn ready for when we have the time, money and somewhere to put a hive or two. We already have invites to visit a couple of bee keepers (one couple are about my age ie not retired)We will have to supply our own bee suits though.......

So next question where do we get affordable bee suits? Sheriff and BB wear suits are way too expensive ( especially as LMW has had a growth spurt and needs all new school uniform :roll: )! Any recommendations? :think:

Best to trail the Internet. We got ours from fragile planet, but they seem to have gone up in price. eBay have them and amazon have a couple. Don't forget you need gloves too and wellies. You can get smocks, which are cheaper than a whole suit, but I would recommend the all in one, there's no where for the bees to hide! !bee!

I wouldn't buy gloves. For hygiene reasons, if you are visiting several different apiaries you'll usually be asked to wear disposable gloves to avoid transferring anything between them, so a packet of those is all you need.

So pleased to hear of your positive forays into the world of beekeeping.

It is a fascinating hobby. I have kept bees for 4 years now and keep learning all the time. As any beekeeper will tell you - the bees don't read the books! Even now I occasionally find things that are a complete surprise in the hive (such as a colony on only 5 frames of brood one week are building queen cells the next week), but usually, with experience you can learn to predict what you might expect to find on inspections.

Re bee suits, I know Sherriff are really expensive, but I do recommend them. I bought a cheap one off eBay to begin with and the veil split within a year. My Sherriff one has lasted me 3 years now without any sign of a tear and the hexagonal mesh they use makes it easier to see through too.

Good luck with your summer of helping with the bees. :D

I will have a trawl of the 'net for a suit.we already have wellies (essential chicken keeper winter footwear after all)

Thornes have a Centenary sale and their suits are £40

Dear Beekeeper

Just a quick reminder about our Centenary Celebrations next week.

Friday 19th and Saturday 20th July at Rand.

We think we have organised an exciting programme, including a bee on a unicycle on both days and an acrobatic air display on the Saturday. Our museum is almost ready with some fascinating items. We have a number of fun competitions and there will be 10% off virtually everything in our shop. You can still pre-order items in our sale up to 5.30pm next Tuesday - see our website for more details. We also have a fishing competition starting at 8.00am on Saturday.

We do hope you'll be able to join us on one or even both of the days.

If not, we will be having a short mail order Centenary Sale on Sunday 28th and Monday 29th July. Of course, the prices and range will not be quite so crazy but still tempting. Please look at our website on one of those days to see what is available.

Gill, Paul, Rebecca and staff

E.H. Thorne (Beehives) Ltd, Beehive Business Park, Rand, Market Rasen, LN8 8NJ

I have ordered two suits off eBay, the seller has 100% feedback and the feedback on the suits seems to be good, there's also a 30 day money back guarantee.

We have been invited to visit the hives of a semi commercial bee keeper locally (a retired chap who's hobby has turned into his job), he has bees that are so gentle he only wears a hood.so we will be off to meet up with him once the suits arrive!