Luvachicken

How can I make Daisy put on weight ?

After falling into my pond and cutting her nasty cancerous lump slightly on Saturday, I took her to the vets today because it was bleeding again.

I weighed her before she went in and now she only weighs 9.05 kg :(

She weighed 10 kg in April.

We feed her on Caeser senior pouches.

She has one for breakfast and one for her tea. She has dog biscuits for lunch and when I get in from work, and really any time she looks at me and says can she have one :D

Should we feed her an extra pouch at lunchtime ?

Any ideas what we could give her to fatten her up a bit ?

She has dodgy kidneys so it has to not overwork them.

Wouldn't have thought of this until now but would she eat puppy food :?: Only suggesting this because its packed with calories and supports nursing dogs who need the extra calories as well as puppies. Maybe it would be suitable for oldies too. Belvita biscuits in warm milk are a good calorie booster and good calcium too, if she can tolerate milk. Comforting too. Sending Daisy lots of hugs, and you too. Axx

We get a lot of overweight dogs from our customers - lots of them have cheese for a treat so that might be an idea. I know a lot of dogs are wheat intolerant but again we have some elderly dogs that have a weetabix at lunchtime and some even with farley's rusks.

I think when they get to her grand old age its whatever she fancies as long as its not doing any harm to her kidneys.

Hope she is ok.

When our inherited dog Fattie (Cairn) was older, we changed him to the older variety of his food and he was like a new dog suddenly found lots more energy, not sure if he put on any weight though.

I have no real advice I am afriad, only one thought does she still seem hungry when she has finished eating, would she eat slightly larger portions. Our 2 labs would just eat as much as you gave them but labs are known as stomachs on legs :lol::lol:

I hope you find something that Daisy enjoys and she puts on a little bit of weight.

Chrissie

Awww, thanks everyone.

Sounds like a bigger lunch would be a good idea and maybe more nibbles during the day.

She doesn't do a lot these days bless her, and she even struggled with the tiny walk to the vets - and she got one of her back legs down a drain cover. For a moment I thought she was looking at the ducks on the pond, then I realised her leg was down the drain, and I really did think the vets and fire brigade would have to come to the rescue.

Her back end really doesn't go in the same direction as her front anymore.

Hopefully lunch will help her get a bit heavier, fingers crossed.