penelope

Help please with little 2 day old duckling found in the road

Hi there

We have a problem!,

My daughter was riding her pony on Wed when she found a tiny duckling running around in the road. It is only a few days old as its egg tooth fell off yesterday. She knew not to just pick it up and bring it home but spent over half an hour looking for any sign of mum or ducklings. It was running around in the road near a dried up pond and 2 very hungry looking Labradors in a field who knew the duckling was there. She tried to put it out of harms way but kept going back in the road so she had no choice but to ride back holding it. We went back in the car but still no signs.

To be honest I didn't expect it to survive but it has and it's doing really well.

We hatched all of our chicks so rearing it is no problem but it's the fact that its a lone duckling that's worrying me.As a wild baby it should have been born in march.we are due to go away camping at our sailing club next week and although I have taken baby hedgehogs( I'm a registered career) and the chicks when they were baby's I am really worried that our little one needs other duckies.

Much as we love the little one and we do have a small pond I hadn't really Intended to add a duck to our long list of animals.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom. We are on the herts/essex borders not far from stansted airport.

Xx

Hi do you know anyone who has day old ducklings or chicks that could take it in it can be reared with either chicks or ducklings it will be fine will just be happy with the company for the time being you can just give it a mirror and a cuddly toy or do you have a local animal rescue that you could take it to leanne :)

Hi Penelope,

I'm guessing he's a little mallard? I had to seperate one of my little ducklings who hatched 08/08 and he's also on his own. If you can't keep him, maybe I could take him and they'd both have company? My little one is a magpie duck, but still very small.

I'm in Braintree and work in Harlow so most likely drive quite close to you daily!

Otherwise I agree with Leanne, give it a cuddly toy to give it something to snuggle in with.

Hi there

Sadly the vet had to put him to sleep as he wasn't very well.

He was doing well to start with but then developed problems. Really miss him but he was born at the wrong time of year and there must have been a good reason why he didn't follow his mummy.

Thanks for helping kyleG. X